Chapter 102: Quarrel

As was known by many at the gathering, Qi Jianqiu could not play music at all. That said, the amount of time she'd spent in zither parlours, teahouses and the like made her a familiar face to the maestros of Chang'an. Compared to the relatively unknown Princess Shangrong who'd invited herself to the gathering, Qi Jianqiu was definitely a much more likeable person.

Her statement was met with murmurs of agreement from some of the guests, while others merely sat in silence, waiting to observe the unfolding events. Jiang Moyin and Feng Luodi exchanged a look. The princess would know very soon what a bad choice it is to garner such negative attention from Jianqiu.

Liu Shang's eyes widened in anger and snorted derisively at Qi Jianqiu. "Well well well, look who's barking - the very sister of Concubine Yao! It's no wonder you're such an annoyance; you must've gotten it from your sister huh?"

Qi Jianqiu's expression darkened. Her mother had died from an early age and her sister had stood in her place to take care of her ever since. In some ways, her sister was her weakness.

"Actually, you're wrong." Qi Jianqiu shook her head mockingly. "Sisters do not inherit qualities from each other, princess; only mothers and daughters share their traits. It's just like a certain someone who'd arrived at this gathering without invitation - ignorant and full of herself."

Feng Luodi turned to Jiang Moyin quietly. "Do the two of them have a feud with each other? She'd never told me anything about it before."

Jiang Moyin raised a cup of tea to his lips. "Although the princess is favoured by the Emperor, her mother, Concubine Hui, is not. Meanwhile, Concubine Yao has been on the rise lately, receiving almost more attention than the Empress from the Emperor."

Feng Luodi shook her head, muddled by the complicated relationship between them.  "This is so confusing...how is Jianqiu able to wrap her head around all of this, when she only has space in her brain for good food and beautiful girls?"

Jiang Moyin smiled. "Miss Qi is a simple person; I'm sure she's just irked by the ways of the princess."

Feng Luodi nodded along. "That's what I think as well. But you have to help her if the situation spirals out of control, elder brother!"

Jiang Moyin shook his head knowingly. "If it really comes down to that, I wouldn't be needed to defend her." Feng Luodi did not understand his comment, but her attention was quickly drawn to Chu Xiaoxiao, who shot to her feet in anger.

She pointed an accusing finger at Qi Jianqiu. "Don't assume for a moment that you can be disrespectful to the princess just because of your looks, you hear me? You should feel honoured that the princess is even willing to grace you with her presence today. The princess decides who should play the zither, and she also decides who plays well."

"My God...is this woman here to clown around?" Qi Jianqiu rolled her eyes and remarked offhandedly to Crystal. Crystal avoided her gaze and hid her smile. Why is this Princess Shangrong and her friend such a...weirdo?"

Chu Xiaoxiao shot a look at Liu Shang and, sensing her approval, continued smugly. "Perhaps some of you here can play a tune or two, but who on earth are you even inviting to this gathering of yours, Gentleman Fang? They are not fit to be here!"

"May I ask what the issue is about, your Highness?" Gentleman Fang was visibly upset.

Chu Xiaoxiao was oblivious to his anger. "Well, many of these guests are scholars of the arts or young masters from various distinguished families, but how are the lowly zither artistes invited to sit at the tables? How can you even allow their presence to taint the gathering?"

She jabbed a finger in the direction of Feng Luodi. "What about this woman here? She is but a mere daughter of an unknown official in court - who let her into the estate? Her very presence brings down the quality of the entire gathering!"