Chapter 172: Prophecy

In the thirty-third year since the Emperor ascended to the throne in the Xuan Kingdom, omens appeared in the skies.

On the first night of Spring, thunder echoed in the sky while shooting stars flew towards the east, blazing a trail behind them. The commoners in Chang'an all bore witness to the scene.

The next day, a heavy snowfall suddenly fell upon the capital, causing the commoners to be terrified and uneasy.

Three days later, floods overwhelmed the provinces in the south, destroying the homes and livelihood of the commoners.

In another three days, an epidemic broke out in the south. Complaints sprung up from the grassroots and all officials wore themselves out trying to respond.

The Imperial Astronomer who was in charge of the astrological signs informed the Emperor that there was a malefic star closing in on the Star of the Emperor. The Star of the Emperor was in imminent crisis. At that moment, many of the officials in court were incapable of solving the issues of the kingdom. The Emperor flew into a rage and removed the Eighth Prince's power in supervising the kingdom. Some officials were demoted again, resulting in the remaining officials to be in a constant state of anxiety.

While all the officials were on tenterhooks, Situ was still leading his life as usual.

As the Feng Residence's celebration for the child's first birthday was set in motion without restraint, the First Lady's health gradually recovered while the Second Lady was still as gentle as ever and did not contend for anything. Thus, the two of them handled the matters in the Feng Residence and were in charge of the arrangements of the first birthday celebration.

This implied that Feng Luodi was not involved in anything much. Hence, Situ took her to tour the main streets and small alleys of Chang'an. He seemed to be planning to experience all the sceneries together and keep it well preserved in his memory.

Gan Qingjia and Qi Jianqiu were newlyweds and were in an extremely loving relationship. Xue Yiqi who was originally busy with official affairs was followed everywhere by Shangguan Yan until he had to flee in distress. Jiang Moyin who was a lonely recluse was enjoying his few remaining days and struck up an unexpected friendship with the Eldritch Physician Xia Jingfeng as chess buddies.

~~~

At the Painting of Ten Miles, Situ supported Feng Luodi as she dismounted the horse. As soon as Feng Luodi came down, Black Whirlwind snorted and left for a walk. It probably took off too delightedly as the birds in the woods instantly flew away in surprise.

Situ shook his head helplessly. He walked side by side with Feng Luodi on the long bridge at the Painting of Ten Miles. The scenery was still as before and the people were still as before but the only thing that had changed was them.

The pink peach blossoms swayed in the breeze, waving their thin white arms. Bright red Yulan magnolias* were budding and resembled shy young damsel. The Glossy Shower** flowers persistently crept onto the branches and smiled at all who passed by. When they walked down from the bridge and reached the small pavilion, what entered their eyes was so gorgeously red that people could not look straight at them. The numerous scarlet colours were like gems embedded on branches.

Feng Luodi's hands held onto the railings as she appreciated this assortment of beautiful flowers. This was her third Spring in this world. The first time was when she first arrived here. After she got acquainted with the Beauty of Chang'an, she got to know Chang'an's Four Gentlemen one after another. She ultimately became lovers with the First Gentleman, acknowledged the Second Gentleman as her elder brother while the Third Gentleman and Fourth Gentlemen were her good friends. She also had a mother who she loved dearly, Jet and Scarlet who always brightens up her day as well as Fei who had boundless potential.