Chapter 125: The Flavours of Life

"Fish in Sour Soup, Soured Bamboo Shoots with Chicken, Soured Pork Ribs, Chicken Feet in Vinegar, Sweet and Sour Pickled Carrots..." Qi Jianqiu proudly introduced the names of her dishes, but Feng Luodi and Scarlet had their mouths wide open. Even Duo, who was hiding in the shadows, was dazed by the "sour-ness" of the menu.

"Jianqiu, did vinegar do something to offend you?" Feng Luodi grabbed Qi Jianqiu's hand while motioning for Scarlet to quickly return the dishes into the hamper.

"You're making fun of me again!" Qi Jianqiu smacked Feng Luodi on her arm but did not notice Scarlet's actions. She plopped back down into her seat cradling her head in her hands, obviously distracted.

Feng Luodi looked at her friend closely and suddenly thought of a possible cause for her distractedness. Her lips turned upwards into a smile.

"I'd heard that Gan Qingjia went to Moonglade again yesterday, is it true?"

"I knew he'd go there again, that sleazy fellow!" Qi Jianqiu immediately spouted a whole load of complaints about Gan Qingjia. "He's already a Rank Three Official of the court, yet he still spends many of his days in Moonglade; it's as if his soul has been stolen by that Linglong! And he does it with the excuse that he is meeting other officials on official matters; is there any official matter that will need to be settled in a zither parlour? How brazen!"

Feng Luodi did not expect such an outburst from Qi Jianqiu. "I'm just joking, Jianqiu. I'm not even sure if he went yesterday."

"He definitely did!" Qi Jianqiu was still upset, her cheeks puffed in anger.

"Jianqiu..." Feng Luodi finally asked the question that has been nagging at her. "Why are you so upset at him going to Moonglade? Have you ever thought about your own feelings? You might regret it for life if you let some people go just like that."

"I'm not..." Qi Jianqiu turned to look at Feng Luodi, about to retort. A tiny voice in her heart called out to her and she recognised the truth behind Feng Luodi's words. It's time for you to mature, and make heads of your feelings. After all, you are Qi Jianqiu, a girl with the courage to love and hate.

"Alright. I've made a decision." Qi Jianqiu stood up. "I'm going to finish this and then get my answer. Don't stop me, Luodi!"

"Why would I stop you?" Feng Luodi laughed, thinking that Qi Jianqiu was going to talk things out with Gan Qingjia. Qi Jianqiu got the support she needed from her good friend and quickly bide farewell, leaving the hamper of food behind.

Feng Luodi stood in the courtyard and sighed. "Jianqiu is finally growing up."

Scarlet interrupted her thoughts. "Young miss, you're almost the same age as Young Miss Qi, why do you speak as if you're her elder?"

"Do I?" Feng Luodi acted surprise, covering her mouth with a hand.

Scarlet laughed at her antic. She looked earnestly at Feng Luodi. "You were all sad and sickly a while back; please don't go back to that state, young miss. We all like you better like that."

Feng Luodi smiled and patted Scarlet's hand. "Let's bring these dishes back for Jet; I remember her fondness for sour foods."

Scarlet nodded and picked up the hamper. "Jet is in luck again. Man, why is she never putting on any weight even though she eats so much everyday?"

Feng Luodi shrugged. "I can't do anything to help you about that."

Scarlet sighed, bringing the hamper back to Jet in her room, leaving Feng Luodi alone in the courtyard. Only then did Feng Luodi drop her façade and laughed bitterly. She can give good advice to Qi Jianqiu, but she cannot accept her own advice. It was but a mask.