Chapter 110: Tumultuous Times

Start from the beginning

Jiang Moyin's hand froze for a second. "Did Luodi admit to it?"

Qi Jianqiu thought about it for a moment and shook her head. "She didn't." She gasped. "Are you saying that I've misunderstood their relationship? No wonder she's so angry!"

Jiang Moyin looked at the flustered Feng Luodi, deep in thought. Even though she did not admit to it, it doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't true.

Meanwhile, Feng Luodi was fuming. All feelings of guilt and selfishness for rejecting Situ's advances were gone. Her mind has been steeled ever since that day in the Imperial Study. This is not the twenty-first century, but I cannot allow my fate to be decided so easily by others! I've been trying my best to live with the differences of this age, but I couldn't hold it in anymore that day. How dare he! How dare he spread such rumours like that! I...I...There's nothing to be done about this; all that is left for me to do is to leave this world as quickly as possible.

"Luodi?" Jiang Moyin's voice snapped her out of her reverie. Feng Luodi looked at the broken chinaware on the floor and quickly bent to pick them up, frustrated at her own loss of composure.

She froze when her bandaged hands came into view.

"Oh my! Young miss, what's wrong?" Scarlet was shocked by the sight before her eyes as she entered the room with a tray of snacks. She quickly hurried forward and helped Feng Luodi back into her seat. "Sit well, young miss. I'll take care of it."

"Thank you, Scarlet." Feng Luodi sighed. She turned to Jiang Moyin and Qi Jianqiu. "My apologies about that; I should not have lost my composure."

"Errrrr..." Qi Jianqiu tried to lighten the atmosphere. "I'll go over there right now and give him a good scolding!"

Feng Luodi shook her head but did not speak. Out of ideas, Qi Jianqiu nudged Jiang Moyin under the table.

Jiang Moyin poured a cup of tea and pushed it across the table to Feng Luodi. "Don't worry about such things, Luodi; they will dispel soon enough. It's just a matter of time."

Feng Luodi nodded and reached out for the teacup, her hands stopping in mid-air as she realised her disability. Seeing that, Jiang Moyin quickly reached out, wanting to bring the cup of tea to her lips as her handmaidens have done. However, another hand reached the cup before he did.

"Hey! This tea is for Luodi!" Qi Jianqiu raised the cup slowly and brought it to Feng Luodi's lips.

Feng Luodi took a sip and pushed her hand away. She forced out a smile. "I didn't expect to see you today without the herbal stew you'd promised."

Qi Jianqiu's face turned bright red with embarrassment as she stammered. "Erm...Erm...It's best if you don't try any of my herbal stew, Luodi. I don't want to make you sicker than you already are."

Qi Jianqiu launched into a tirade about her adventures in the process of making a herbal stew for Feng Luodi. In short, her stew-making abilities were nowhere near to that of her culinary expertise - her previous products had almost caused multiple deaths in her residence, from her father to the dog in the kitchen.

Feng Luodi was stunned. Wow...

Jiang Moyin smiled. "Gan Qingjia had two words to describe it."

"Oh? What did he say?" Qi Jianqiu asked with forced nonchalance.

"Horrifically disfigured."

"Why...that little punk! He is not supposed to evaluate my stew based on its physical appearance!" Qi Jianqiu spluttered.

Feng Luodi blinked repeatedly. I feel like I'm missing something here.

"Young miss, the Guqin has been refurbished!" Jet dashed into the room, a long package wrapped in her hands. Seeing the guests in Feng Luodi's room, she quickly bowed to them.

"My greetings, Young Miss Qi and Master Jiang."

"Jet, is that the Guqin in your hands? Which one of them is it?" Qi Jianqiu asked with a smile on her face.

Seeing a nod from Feng Luodi, Jet placed the package to Qi Jianqiu's open arms. "This is Cloud Nine, young miss Qi."

Qi Jianqiu eagerly unwrapped the package and examined the Guqin closely. "It's a job well done indeed. I wouldn't even know that it's refurbished if you didn't mention it!"

"It was done by the best zither craftsmen in Chang'an." Feng Luodi remarked lightly, her eyes bright and fixated onto Cloud Nine. Just five more and I'll be able to return home!

"This is the Fifth Guqin you have found, right?" Jiang Moyin spoke slowly. "They must mean a lot to you, for you to be able to find five of the famous Guqin in the world in such a short time."

Feng Luodi looked at him, surprised. She smiled. "Indeed."