Steve Rogers- Doormat: Part 4 (c)

Steve looked awkward due to your outburst. He stood up resting a hand comfortingly onto your arm.

"What's wrong Y/N/N?" He asked softly.

"My bloody doormats," you exclaimed, "There is over a dozen doormats that I had to buy, because some bastard stole them."

He was taken back at first thinking for a moment. He took the mats from you, flicking through them. At the top they were all generic cheap ones that you bought at the end of the problem before giving up, but as the pile got further down, they had quotes or funny comments on them, and even one with cats on it.

"Where did you find these?" He asked.

"I was looking for the bathroom, and opened a door, they were just sat there on a table. To be fair at first I thought it was you. A way to talk to me, but then it persisted after we started to date, and why would you transport them here? You live across the hall from me, what would be the point in taking them here?" You sighed, "So it must be someone here?"

You both turned your attention to the avengers who were sat around you, mainly looking completely confused.

"Wait someone has been stealing your doormats?" Clint laughed.

"Yes. They've been doing it for months," You frowned, "It seems petty, but gosh it is annoying."

Steve wrapped an arm around you, pulling you to him, whilst he looked at his fellow teammates.

"So which of you has been doing it?" Steve demanded.

You both tried to determine who it was until Tony broke, standing from his seat.

"Sorry Y/N, it was me," Tony stated, clearly trying to fight the laughter that was attempting to escape.

"Why?" You asked.

You had never met Tony before. Of course you had heard of him, who hadn't? And Steve had told you a lot about him as well, but it was a complete mystery as to why he would want to still your doormats. They weren't exactly something sought after, they are just doormats, and he was him. It didn't make sense.

"Well I actually had no idea it was your place. I thought it was Capsicle's place, with the cheesy quote on the mat, it seemed right. And I then saw him leave your place, and just presumed after a while. It was a part of a much larger plan to drive the old man mad, and the smallest things generally are the most effective. But it seems to have worked perfectly in making you lose your marbles," He laughed.

<>

Your eyebrows furrowed. Since it had started you had thought of at least one hundred different explanations to why your doormats were being taken, and it simply being a mistake was not one of them. It certainly wasn't satisfying. But at least now you knew.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.