Bucky Barnes- Memories (c)

Steve wasn't sure he should leave Bucky alone, but you insisted you would be fine. Steve had found Bucky five months ago and he had barely left his side since. You had done your best to help in any way you could, but Steve insisted to stay with his best friend.

Just now a mission came up, and even though you were an Agent of SHIELD you knew there was no way you could accomplish the mission alone, but Steve could do it on his own. After a debate over the matter Steve knew it was for the best if he went to do the mission as it meant he'd save people and he knew Bucky would be okay if he wasn't glued to his hip for a couple of days.

Steve gave you a run down on everything that you had to do, and gave you several different explanations on how to handle any possible event that could be fathomed to occur. You reassured him, reciting the instructions before sending him on his way.

Locking the door behind him, you made your way back into the apartment that you had been sharing with Steve for the last year, and now Bucky lives with you too.

When Steve was thawed, you were put in charge of helping him adapt to the world, so you lived together, but you just stayed living together until now. When Steve found Bucky you offered to move out if he wanted Bucky to have your room, but he wanted you to stay, so you could help Bucky adapt to the modern world, so Bucky took Steve's room whilst he slept on the couch.

You went to the living room where Bucky sat on the couch with an expressionless face.

"Hey Bucky, Steve will be back in a few days. You've got me until then. Is that okay? He didn't want to go but there's a mission, and we're short on agents at the moment," you smiled softly sitting down opposite him.

You saw the corner of his lips twitch. Within seconds tears fell down his cheeks. Not once had you seen him cry. He hadn't shown any emotions other than fear when he got night terrors.

You didn't know what to do.

Quickly you moved to sit next to him resting your hand on his shoulder.

"Hey. I know I'm no Steve, but you don't have to cry," you chuckled.

"That's not why," he muttered.

They were the first words you had heard him say since he'd been here.

"What's wrong?" you whispered.

"Steve," he stated.

"What about him?"

"I remember him."

"You do?"

He looked up to you through a veil of his brunette hair.

"I have since before I got here. But you can't let him know I remember," he whispered.

"Why?" You frowned, "All he wants is you to remember him."

"But he wants the old Bucky back. I'm not the old Bucky. I can't be the old Bucky. He thinks I'll just be his old friend but I can't," he whispered through tears.

On instinct you wrapped your arms around him.

"He'll understand Bucky. He loves you like a brother and he just wants to have you back, whether that is the Bucky he knew in the 40s or the new one. He beats himself up so much for losing you," you sighed.

He nodded.

"I just don't want him to hate me," he whispered.

"He could never hate you. Since he defrosted, he hated himself so much for losing you, he needs you Bucky," you said softly, still hugging him.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.