I'm So Proud Of You

Imagine...

I'd just got home from the grocery store when I decided to text Niall and see when he was coming home.

"Hey babe. I was wondering what time you were coming home. Bought some things for chicken parm. Hope you're hungry. Love you. xx"

I went into the kitchen and began putting the groceries up. I laid everything out that I needed to make dinner. I heard my phone buzz in the living room so I walked to see a message from Niall.

"Sorry princess. They just called a meeting. Not sure how long it'll take. Start dinner without me. Save me some. I'm sorry. I'll make it up to you. I love you. xxxxxxx"

I sighed and put my phone back down on the table. I thought I'd be used to it now; Niall not being around. I hardly get to see him anymore. Even on his off days, he's always doing things for the band. But I'm not going to be the one who comes between Niall and his dream. So in the meantime, I'm just going to suck it up and deal with it.

I walked into the kitchen and began making dinner, chicken parmesan. One of Niall's many favorite dishes. I finished dinner, ate some, and rapped the leftovers and sat them in the oven to keep them warm for Niall. I cleaned the dishes and the rest of the messes I made and went to watch some tv while I waited on Niall to come home.

It was going on 9:30 when I heard his car pull into the driveway. I smiled when I finally seen his face as he walked through the front door. He looked completely exhausted. He put his things by the door and walked over to me. "How was work?" I asked. "Fine," he replied before giving me a kiss and collapsing on the couch, resting his head in my lap. "Did some interviews, met some fans, sung some songs. The usual." I played with his hair as he closed his eyes and relaxed. "Dinner's in the oven. I can make you a plate if you want," I suggested, twirling a strand if blonde hair around my finger. "I'll eat in a minute. I just want to lay here for a minute," he said rubbing his eyes. I rested my arm on his chest and lightly ran my thumb against it. He smiled and took my hand in his, lacing our fingers together. "I missed you today," he sighed. "I missed you too," I said, placing a kiss on his forehead. "What did you do today?" "I went to the store, visited my mom, and helped Y/F/N a little with some last minute details for her wedding. You're still coming with me Thursday aren't you?" "I was needing to talk to you about that, love." Niall sat up and turned to face me on the couch, "I can't make it Thursday," he said. "Why not? We've had this planned almost a year." "I know but it's just that I'm not going to be here." "What do you mean? Where are you going?" "Africa." "Wait. What? Why are you going to Africa? What's in Africa?" I asked confused. "The guys and I are going to Ghana for Red Nose Day. It's for charity. I have to go." "When are you leaving?" "Tomorrow evening." "Niall! Why didn't you tell me sooner?!" "Because I just found out today! That's what the meeting was about. We're only staying two days. We're leaving tomorrow and staying two days and I'll be back Friday." "When are they going to give you a break? You're always busy, Niall. You need some down time." "They said after this, we'll get about a week off. And I promise, I will stay home with you for that whole week." "I just want you to stay." "I know," he said holding my hands. "But I have to do this. It's bad over there, Y/N. There's sick babies that need vaccines. I'm going to donate and try to help out." I nodded my head. "Alright. If it was any other situation, I'd be upset. But it's a great cause." "Thanks for being so great. I'll make it up to you I promise." He leaned over and kissed me. I heard Niall's stomach growl while he was kissing me. I smiled and pulled away, "I'm going to go fix you a plate now." He laughed, "Thanks, babe."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Are you sure you have everything?" I asked as Niall carried his bag to the front door. "I'm sure. I'm only going to be gone two days. I don't need that much," he said putting the bag down and looking at me. He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me closer. I rested my arms around his neck and took in his scent. "It's two days. I'll be back before you know it," he whispered. "I know. I'm just going to miss you. Be careful, please." "I will. Have fun at the wedding. Tell Y/F/N I'm sorry that I can't be there and that I wish her the best." "I will." I heard the cap beeb it's horn outside. I pulled away as looked at Niall. "I have to go now, princess," he whispered. "Okay. You go out and make a difference. I'm really proud of you, Niall." "Thanks, baby. I love you." "I love you too." He leaned down and kissed me passionately. He pulled away and picked up his bag. "You'll come to the airport Friday, right?" He asked stepping onto the front porch. "I'll be there," I said leaning against the front door. "Love you," he said before giving me one last kiss. "Love you too." I watched him climb into the cab and wave as the cab drove away. I missed him already.

Wednesday and Thursday came and went and it was finally time to pick Niall up from the airport. I had a blast at the wedding which helped me with missing Niall so much. Everyone missed him at the wedding but applauded him for what he was doing. But no could could be more proud of him than I was.

I grabbed my keys and sped to the airport to wait for Niall's plane to land. I arrived at the airport and sat next to the terminal. I finally saw Niall's plane land and I suddenly got butterflies in my stomach. It was weird how much Niall affected me. I waited patiently for him beside the terminal gates. My stomach did twenty flips when I saw his blonde hair poke out behind the crowd. I stood on my tip toes and waved to get his attention. He smiled and made his way over to me. I ran into his arms and he spun me around. "You act like you haven't seen me in years," he laughed, placing me back on my feet. "It felt like two years. I missed you!" I kissed him and gave him another hug. I pulled away to look at him, "You got a little tanner there, babe." "I got burnt. The weather was insane over there." "How'd everything go?" "We'll talk about it later. Lets just head home." Niall got his bag and we left for our house.

"So I apologized to Christy for elbowing her in the face. I just really wanted that bouquet," I laughed. I was sitting on the couch while Niall was getting us a beer. "So did you get the bouquet?" He asked coming to join me on the couch with two beers in his hand. "Yes I did." We both laughed. Niall opened my beer and handed to me. "I wish I could've been there," he sighed, taking a swig of his beer. "Well they understood why you couldn't. How did things go? What was it like?" I asked. "You wouldn't believe it, Y/N. It's so bad," he said shaking his head. I rested my arm on the back of the couch and pulled my knees up to my side, waiting for him to continue. "The living conditions are terrible. They don't have clean water to drink. They don't have enough food. They don't have anything really. But those kids were so happy to see us, Y/N. Their faces would light up when we came around. I think they were excited to see new people. I met some of the sweetest kids there. And when asked what they wanted, they didn't say toys or anything. They want an education. That's it. That's all they want. And the babies. You couldn't have walked into the hospital. You would've broke down. The babies were so weak. And it could all be avoided by having them vaccinated at birth. Seeing them lay there, too weak to lift their head, it was so hard to watch." I looked and I could tell he was getting emotional. I scooted closer and placed my hand on his arm. I rested my head on his shoulder as he continued. "We take so many things for granted. We have everything while there are children having to worry about when they're going to eat next. A trip like that really puts things into perspective. I just hope we made a difference." I raised my head to look at him. "You definitely made a difference, Niall. There's no telling how many lives you saved. And you making those kids happy. You probably made their day so much better. You are just an amazing person. I am so proud of you, Niall. So proud," I said, tears welling up in my eyes. "Thank you, baby. It means a lot." I wiped the tear that escaped Niall's eye and kissed him on the cheek. "I know you were doing good things and all but I'm happy you're home," I said, holding his hand. "I loved being there but no place on earth compares being here beside you," he said kissing me sweetly. I rested my head on his shoulder and we spent the rest of the day cuddling, laughing, and discussing what we were going to do on Niall's week off. I couldn't be happier to finally have him home with me.

The end