A Little Father/Daughter Time

"And then I stole the ball from the biggest guy on the team, ran down the field, and scored a goal. It was amazing. I won the whole game," Connor bragged, stuffing his face with another spoonful of pasta.

"That's my boy," Niall boomed, raising his glass.

I smiled, noticing Cady pushing her food around on her plate. She'd been awfully quiet.

"What about you, Cady? How was your day?" I asked.

"It was okay. Amanda was sick so I got to lead the debate team today," Cady mumbled, playing with her food.

"Oh really?!," I enthused. "That's great, honey!"

"Yeah, we actually won. Mrs. Collins is thinking about making me co-captain," she smiled.

"Oh, Cady, that's fantastic! Isn't that great, Niall?!"

Niall looked up from his plate with widened eyes, "Huh?"

"Cady might get to be co-captain of the debate team," I said, watching him act like he had no interest in his daughter's exciting news.

"Oh. Yeah. That's great," Niall nodded. "Hey, how big was this guy," he whispered to Connor who went back into detail about the giant on the rival's football team.

I sat and watched Cady's smile fade as she looked back down at her plate and continued to play with her food.

*

Dinner was over, the kitchen was cleaned, and everyone was getting ready for bed. I finished brushing my teeth as I looked at Niall who was fixing our bed. "What are your plans for tomorrow?" I asked after spitting into the sink.

"Con and I are gonna watch the game. What about you?" He asked, getting into bed.

"I have to take Cady to get her dress fitted for the spring formal next week," I said, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"Sounds fun," he said sarcastically.

"Mmhmm," I smiled as I stared at him with leered eyes, the gears in my mind turning.

"I know that face. What are you thinking?" He asked.

"Let's trade," I smirked.

"What?"

"You take Cady to get her dress and I'll watch the game with Connor."

"No. I don't wanna do that," he shook his head.

"And why not?" I asked, crawling to my spot on the bed beside Niall.

"Because that's girly stuff and I wanna watch the game."

"And? Watching football with my son is manly stuff. We'll record it for you on the DVR. You can watch it when you get back."

"I don't wanna go," he scoffed, crossing his arms like a little baby.

"Think of it as bonding time with your daughter, Niall. You don't spend enough time with her."

"I do. I did tonight," he corrected me.

"What? At dinner? When you completely ignored her and started talking to Connor about football? That's not spending time with her, Niall. You don't know our daughter."

"Yes I do," he said, getting defensive.

"What's her favorite band?"

"One Direction," he smiled.

"No," I rolled my eyes. "Cady and I have a really close relationship. Don't you want that too?" I asked, scooting closer to him.

"Of course I do but I don't know how to talk to her," he sighed, lifting his arm.