Chapter 50

I then closed and opened the door louder. I then had a better view of her face. When I saw her fully, I started to cry.

"Alexa?" I whined with a small crack in my voice.

"Um, close. My name is Alex. My car broke down outside and I need a place to stay before I get back to Canada tomorrow. Is it alright if I stay here for tonight so I can get to the repair man tomorrow?" She explained.

I just couldn't stop looking at her face. She looked just like Alexa.

"Oh, um. Sorry, it's just that you look exactly like my late little sister. Her name was Alexa. She looks just like you."

"Oh, sounds like you miss her a lot."

"Yeah I do. She was a big part of my life, but now she's gone. And I can never get her back."

"I feel ya, I had a sister too. She died with just a blink of an eye while I didn't even see it coming. I can't even speak her name without shedding a tear."

"Okay then. I won't pressure you to cry out your feelings. Sure, you can spend the night here."

"Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you so much!" She hugged me as I felt her warm, wet body against mine.

She then went back out the door to get her clothes out her car. Joey then came out of the room with a towel wrapped around his waist.

"Who was at the door?" He said as he took his fingers and pulled them through his wet hair. I pushed him back into the room and closed the door behind us. I then pushed him onto the bed and as he sat up, my face went against his chest as I cried into it.

"Nina, what's wrong?" Joey asked while pulling my face out of his chest.

"There was a girl at the door that looked exactly like Alexa. But her name is Alex. Just looking at her makes me sad inside, and knowing it really wasn't Alexa made me take a bullet to the heart. I miss her so much. If I had a chance, I would take her back, keep her in my arms and never let her go. I love her so much." I explained with tears shredded down my cheeks left and right.

"It's okay, Nina. I'm sure Alexa just brought Alex here from the heavens to cheer you up a bit about her death. I mean, her birthday is coming up soon."

"Oh yeah, April 6th. She would've been 19. Joey, I wanna do something special for her..is that alright?" He then nodded his head and pulled me in for a great big hug.

I then heard the door open slightly and a voice come in from the living room. "Nina? You still here? Hello?" I didn't wanna be rude and make her think I ditched her, so I left Joey in the room to get dressed and helped Alex settle into our house.

"So, why were you in that room right there?" She asked while sipping down the hot chocolate I made for the both of us.

"Oh, nothing much. I was just talking to my fiancé Joey."

"Oh..okay. So you're getting married?"

"Yeah, he proposed to me on Christmas. I mean, we're already having a baby, I guess we should get married also."

"So you're pregnant too!? Wow, your future is already in front of you."

I giggled. "I guess you could say that. So, I've been wondering..why did you wanna go to Canada?"

"Well, there's a place at the tippy top of Canada where you can be able to connect with all the spirits of the dead, the wondered, and the lost. At a specific time every couple of years, they all come out and tell you specifics about their lives and other things with whispers and noises. I'm going there to be able to talk to my sister and ask her about the afterlife and connect with other parts of my family that have died also."

"Cool, so basically you're going to the North Pole?"

"Yup. I might even meet Santa Claus upon my journey." We then both laughed.

"I don't mean to bring back horrible memories, but I would really want to know your sister's name. If you'll get too upset, I won't ask again."

"No, no. It's fine. I'll tell you." She took a deep breath and paused. "Her name was Natalie. She was the best big sister a girl could ever have. She died trying to protect me from a gun shot. After my mom's stroke and my dad's stage four of lung cancer, this was the most tragic death of all. I loved her, and I promised to never let her go..but she did the opposite...she let me go.."

"That's really sad and relatable. How far apart were you too?"

"About a year and a half."

"What's your real name?" She looked back up at me. "Alexandria." We said at the same time.

"Wow, how did you know that?" She asked with amazement in her voice.

"That was my sister's real name. Your life is exactly like me and my sister Alexa's lives. She died from a gunshot trying to save me. My mom had cancer and my dad had a heart attack and they both died. She was all I had, and she let me go. I will cherish the day she comes back to me to tell me she's not dead."

"Wow, what if..what if I've got everything wrong? I mean, that's not possible. Even though I'm a little overdosed, doesn't mean that–that–"

She then passed out right into my lap. "No, no, no! Alexa! I won't let you go this time!" I then called Joey and told him to get the car. We then got into the car as I got into the backseat with Alex(a) and held her head and turns her to the side with a trash bag right under the seat in case she began to vomit.

"Don't worry, Alexa. We'll make sure we save you this time around." I say as I stroke my hands through her hair.