Chapter 23

After Sawyer came home from taking his new girlfriend, Jennifer, home, me and Joey started to ask him questions about how his date went.

"So, how'd it go?" I asked as we all sat down on the couch.

"Did you have fun?" Joey asked while putting his arm around me.

"What did you eat?"

"Where did you go?"

"How was that KISS?"

"Oooh, yea."

Sawyer cleared his throat. "It went amazing. I had a lot of fun. Jennifer is a great girl. We went to a Steak and Shake in downtown. And the kiss was absolutely incredible. She's a great kisser."

"Awwww." Joey and me said at the same time.

"Well, I'm glad you had a good time, Sawyer." I told Sawyer, patted him on the back, and ran in the room to grab my phone.

"Thanks, Nina!" Sawyer yells.

We then all pop up some popcorn and begin to watch a movie on Netflix.

After the movie, i checked the time. 8:17.

"Hey, Joey. Wanna go grab dinner?"

"Uh...yea. Where do you wanna go?"

"Steak and Shake."

"Is this because of Sawyer?"

"...maybe..."

"Fine. Let's go." Joey grabs his wallet and jacket, I grab my phone and jacket. After that, we went off to the Steak and Shake down the street from our apartment. It took us about thirty minutes to get our food inside because we didn't wanna go through the drive-thru. 

We put in our order, got called up, and they said it would take about ten minutes. We got bored, and decided to sit at one of the booths in the restraunt and started being romantic to one another. By the time our food was finally called, we were making out and they got really mad at us.

We finally got home, ate our dinner, and Joey and Sawyer talked on the phone while I went to go take a shower. After about 7 minutes in the shower, I come out to a present on the bed.

"To My Life, My Wishes, My Heart." The card reads.

I open the thin, sqaure-shapes box. Inside, there was a light blue, feet-length dress, a $75 gift card, and a ring. Wrapped around the ring was a note. "It's a promise ring. I swear my love to non other than you."

I put the ring on. A perfect fit. It was a square diamonds in the middle. Up until half the ring were tiny little diamonds. It actually looked like a real engagement ring. Wait till my relatives see this!

After I get dressed, I open the door and see Joey getting up and coming over to the door.

"So...what do you think?" Joey asked as he clapped his hands together.

"I f***ing love you." I told him and wrapped my arms around his neck. He then wraps his arms around my waist as we embrace for a few moments.

"You too are perfect for each ot-" Sawyer begins to say.

"Shh, we're having a moment." I interrupt.

Joey then begins to put his head on my shoulder. 

"I love you." Joey whispers into my ear.

"I have the ring to prove it." I giggled quietly.

After Joey and Sawyer took a shower, we all went to bed. Joey put his arms around me, and I put my head on his bare chest.

A few hours later, I woke up strangely. I checked the time. 1:27.

I got up from bed, went to the kitchen and grabbed something to eat.

"Nina?" A voice said that nearly frightened me. I turned around. It was Joey.

"Joey! You almost scared me." I replied with a chicken leg in my hand.

He comes up to me. "Why are you up? You know you have school in the morning. And work after that. You need all the energy you can get."

I stared into his eyes. He looked concerned.

"I know, but I can't sleep. I guess something is wrong with me so bad that I can't sleep."

"What is it?"

I paused. I knew what it was. "I don't think I can talk about it."

"C'mon. We can talk about anything with each other. Just tell me."

"I don't think I'm ready to yet."

Joey holds my hand. "Whatever it is, we will get through it...together."

He then kisses me softly. I put my arms around him, even with the chicken leg hand. We release, and I put my head on his chest.

"I love you." I whisper.

"I love you more than anything in the world." Joey whispers back.

I pull away from his gentle arms. "I'll come back to bed in a bit."

"You sure you don't need me?" Joey backs up to the room.

"Yea. I'm sure. I'll be there."

He then goes back in the room. I start to finish up my leg. I loved Joey, but I can't tell him what was wrong with me. It was too personal and too late to talk about. It's over, and I can't do anything about it.

I finally finish my food and go back to bed.

I lay down on my pillow and feel Joey's arm on my back.

"You're acting funny. Why aren't you laying on my chest?"

"I-I don't know. I'm just not in the mood."

Joey then was quiet. I hear the mattress moving. I turned my head a bit. It turns out his back was to mine. Oh my God. I made him sad, I thought.

I hope that Joey'll be okay. I don't want him to have the thoughts again and end up committing suicide because of me. I would be heartbreaking if he died because of me. 

I love him, and I don't want him to slip away from me like everyone else in my life.

Our relationship will fly sky high. No matter what happens to either him or me.

~~~

Remember to enter those names for the baby.