Chapter 5

After I was finished, I closed my journal and put it on my nightstand. Then, I went to my dresser to put my pen in my pencil box when I got a text from Joey.

Joey❤(now):

Hey, come over to my place, I have something for you.

i wasn't very big on surprises, but if it was from Joey, I was all in. It didn't take me very long to get to his house this time, maybe about ten or twenty minutes. I didn't know why, but I wasn't about to worry about it.

I went up to the door, and knocked three times. A few seconds later, Joey came and hugged me.

"I have something for you!" He said while covering my eyes.

i let him guide me to whatever he wanted me to go to. He then stopped. I don't know why, but he did.

Cold hands then grabbed my own hands and covered my own eyes and Joey's let go around my face.

"Don't uncover your eyes until I say so," Joey said while I coul hear the footsteps of his graceful feet.

"Okay, you can open them now," he said with joy in his voice. When I let my hands go, I see a big birthday cake with the words "Happy 21st Birthday, Nina!" across it, i see Joey, Shane, Connor, Sawyer, Lisa, Jade, Jennifer, and Tyler Oakley all around the cake screaming, "Happy Birthday, Nina!"

"You guys planned all of this!?" I exclaimed with tears of joy falling down my face.

"Happy birthday, Nina." Joey says while giving me a big hug.

He then trips on his own feet and while he is trying to wrap his arms around me, ends up falling into my lips instead. He didn't pull away, and I just wrapped my arms around his neck, and he wrapped his hands around my waist and twirled me around.

When we released, he said with awkwardness in his voice, "Uhm... That was, uhm, awkward..."

"Yea, uh, I guess it was.."

"But, we're still friends, right?" He said while scratching the back of his head.

That question broke my heart. How could we just kiss and yet, you still wanna be friends?! I wasn't going to say anything rude to my crush, so all I said was, "Yes, it meant nothing to me anyways."

I can't believe two weeks went by so quickly. It was like yesterday I was at Whole Foods and getting to meet Joey and Sawyer all over again.

I guess it's because I haven't been talking to Joey much anymore since I had time for only studying and work lately. But we're still friends, even though we don't talk as friends anymore.

At the party, I blew out the 21 candles—and when I needed help, Joey helped me out—and we ate the cake. It ended up being a chocolate cake with vanilla frosting, my favorite!

Then, after everyone was finished, we opened presents.

Joey got me a blue teddy bear that said "I love you!" with little flowers in his hands—which were for me—and chocolates. He also got me a blue, purple, and black bookbag that had folders, paper, pencils, erasers, and even a sharpener inside.

Jennifer got me two of the newest Diary of a Wimpy Kid books called The Third Wheel and Cabin Fever. Everyone knows I absolutely LOVE the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, so I guess she thought of me when she saw these books in the store.

Sawyer got me a new blender, because he knew that something had happened with mine and it was starting to show a bit that I haven't been drinking my smoothies...

Connor got me a brand new MacBook case since I didn't have one and he knew that I had been wanting one, but I have always said it costs too much money, but really I just didn't feel like buying them.

Shane got me more fruit and yogurt to put in my smoothies, I guess they were for my smoothies...

Even though Tyler didn't know me much—because Joey's never actually introduced me to Tyler—he knew that I liked my naps, so for my birthday, Tyler got me a blanket with a tiger on it, because he also knew that I had a cat.

Last but not least, my best friend Jade.

I knew for as long as I have known Jade, she would get me the best gift.

For my 21st birthday, Jade gave me a toy for my cat and a gift card to Toys 'R' Us.

"I can't believe you did this to me!" I yelled at her. As many great gifts that I give her, this is what she does to me?!

"No, Nina, you have to listen to m–"

"As long as we've been friends are you serious?! I can't believe you right now! Just get out!" I said. Tears were running down my face like the river water going down Niagra Falls.

"I'll leave, but first you're gonna hear me out. Firstly, you don't interrupt me and secondly I'm getting you something better, if you would listen, but that seems like the only thing you can't do so goodbye Nina." Jade said.

She then slammed the door, and everyone could hear her tires screech against the pavement.

Everyone was standing around Joey and Sawyer's apartment, wondering what just happened.

I didn't even know what had happened myself.

I then ran into Joey's room and locked the door. I then laid on his bed and cried.

I can't believe I just got mad at my best friend.

After a few minutes of crying, I hear a knock on the door.

"Go away!" I said in my whiny voice.

"But it's my room." The voice said.

I then got up and unlocked the door, and Joey walked through it and closed it back behind him.

"Come sit down." He said while motioning me to the bed.

"Look, I'm sorry that you and Jade had your falling out and all today, and I get that. But to make you feel better, you can spend the night at my house tonight. You can also bring Sniffles over here to play with Hitch."

"Thanks, Joey. You're my best friend."

We then hugged and he kissed me on the cheek. First, we kiss, then, he offers me to stay the night, and now he's kissing me on the cheek. This has been the best and worst birthday of my life.