Nightmares

When Sam came back he left the door open, and you drank the water quickly and he grinned handing you a second bottle.
"I knew you'd be thirsty after that" he shrugged sitting beside you on the bed. "You wanna talk about it?" he put an arm over your shoulders.
"I was fourteen, they hung me from the ceiling. It was shortly after they found out about my frost wings that would come out. They were trying to train me to bring them out. Whips" you sipped at your water. "I can still feel them in my dreams, when the flashbacks start... it's like a never-ending cycle"
"But you survived it. You survived them" Sam reminded you. "And your going to survive them if you ever see them again. You're a fighter, Y/N"
"The memories make me feel weak" you whispered.
"Well, they wont come back tonight. I'll stay here" he leaned against one of the chains that held your bed above the ground so you could still swing.
"You don't have to" you shook your head.
"I already decided, now lay your pretty head down and try to get some more rest" he instructed. You sighed and lay your head on his lap where he indicated and closed your eyes trying to fall back asleep. You felt him put his other foot on the floor and start swaying the bed from side to side. The gentle rocking did indeed start putting you back to sleep.

Sometime during the night, Sam switched places with Natasha who claimed she couldn't sleep. They slipped your head onto a pillow and she continued the rocking while you snored softly into the pillow. When Sam left, he kept the door open again just in case. Bruce came in and took the swing that was supposed to act as a sofa to keep Nat company while they spoke in hushed tones to each other. It was mainly about the upcoming mission. They were more hesitant to leave you alone in the compound now with how bad this nightmare had been. You had woken up the entire compound with your screaming.
"Someone should stay behind Nat" he whispered to her. The sun was slowly starting to come up.
"You know that's not an option. The base is too big, and its too big of a risk to bring her before she's fully trained" Nat started brushing your hair back from your face.
"What if we got Morgan and his family to come down while we are gone?" Bruce seemed to be running out of answers.
"You know she wants them kept safe. Bringing them here would make them a target with how much the media watches the place" Nat shook her head. "She's stronger than we think. She'll be fine with whoever stays behind"
"I just don't want her to think we are abandoning her after just bringing her here. That mission could take a lot of time" he grimaced.
"Okay, my shift" Tony walked into the bedroom at that point. "Go get some rest you two"
"We're fine" Nat shook her head.
"Not an option. Switch me spots" he walked over and snapped his fingers for Natasha to move. She begrudgingly did so with one last look at you still sleeping. Bruce got up to follow Nat when Pepper came in and took Bruce's spot, she was already texting like a madwoman into her phone. Tony resumed rocking the bed for you to continue sleeping. He took out his phone and double checked that Bucky and Steve were still out on their mission, then started working on another to do list.
"Are the nightmares always that bad?" Pepper finally asked, looking up from her phone.
"That was mild, we've seen worse. Nat and Steve would try to calm her down" Tony admitted, giving her a sad smile. "Bucky got the idea to start sleeping closer to her while we were at the cabin, and it seemed to calm her down faster if she had one. It was pretty smart, because it worked"
"Did you just compliment someone?" Pepper giggled.
"Iceman made a good call, that's all" he shrugged watching Pepper pet Harry and Chewy. Leia still hadn't left your side on the bed. He reached over and gave her a scratch behind the ears. She seemed to lean into the movements.
They sat in companionable silence for the next hour while the sun finished rising and you finally started to stir.
"Tony?" you cracked your eyes open in shock.
"Morning sunshine. Don't worry, we took shifts so everyone got some sleep" Pepper spoke up from her spot.
"This is so embarrassing" you flushed while Tony moved the hair out of your face.
"Its what family does" Tony shrugged.
"Who all was in here?" you bit your bottom lip worriedly.
"Nat and Bruce kicked Sam out during the night. Pepper and I kicked them out a while ago" he grinned. "Why don't you go take a shower, you have a full day of training, and you have to go in the machine again" he stood up from the bed.
"We will see you at breakfast" Pepper came over and gave you a warm hug.
"Which is non-negotiable" Tony added as they closed the door behind them walking out.