Chapter 148

Chapter 148: Toby's POV

I felt horrible for doing that, but I had to. It was the only way to get Spencer out of her own selfish world. My phone rang. Oh no, it must be Spencer ready to yell and break up with me.

I answered it nervously, but I let out a sigh of relief to hear a man's voice.

"Toby Cavanaugh?" he said.

"Yes?"

"Calling from the Rosewood Police Department. I've got notice that Spencer Hastings is on her way here. Do you mind coming here to answer some questions?"

I groaned, but I said I would be on my way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Come this way, Mr. Cavanaugh," the officer at the front desk told me. My phone beeped and I thought it was a text from Dad, but it was from Mr. Miller, the contractor who interviewed me last week for that job in Bucks County. Yes, I got it!

As I smiled stupidly, I was taken into a room where Spencer and another officer were sitting. Spencer's face lit up when she saw me. Oh shit, she didn't know who called her in.

"I'll give you guys some time to talk," the officer said and got up.

"Toby, did the police call you?" Spencer asked me as I sat down.

"Yeah, but, I need to tell you something."

"Toby, Alison reported me for stealing your mom's ring! Can you just clear it up so we can go home now?" Spencer asked me.

"Look, Spencer, Alison didn't call."

"What? She most definitely did!"

"No," I said. "And I know that for a fact because I, I reported you."