Chapter 56

Chapter 56: Toby's POV

I hated lying to Spencer. It felt wrong; no, it felt horrible. I couldn't tell her the truth though. 

"Spencer, I have to tell you something."

She got up. "What?" she asked curiously.

"Jenna, Jenna, um, she isn't A."

"Then why did you tell me she was? What are you trying to do to me?" she asked.

"Ok, I don't, ugh, I just can't..." I didn't know what to say.

"You can't what? Toby, we don't keep secrets from each other! Not anymore!"

"Ok, Spencer, I'm sorry, but I swear I don't know who A is. I just, I get the texts too, ok? I get messages from A all the time. They know my deepest, darkest secrets, and I don't know what I ever did to them to make them hate me so much!" 

"Why couldn't you tell me that before?" she asked.

"I didn't really know that you were getting them," I told her.

"It's not just me, Toby! It's Aria, Emily, Hanna, and me! There's probably more, too!"

"Well, I didn't know that, ok? I'm sorry, Spence. All I know is that we have to do something to catch A. To expose them."

"What do we do first?" she asked me.

"How am I supposed to know? You're the smart one in this relationship!"

Spencer smiled. "Then what does that make you?"

"The good-looking one," I teased her.