Chapter 288

Chapter 288: Toby's POV

"Your girlfriend is a goddess," Sandy told me as she handed me a slice of pepperoni pizza.

"Yeah, she's way out of my league. But I love her and she loves me and that's all that matters."

"If she loves you, why isn't she with you right now?" she asked and smirked.

"Because I need to be here and she has work to do," I said bluntly. I wasn't going to have an eighteen-year-old girl doubt my relationship with Spencer.

"You guys just seem really different."

"Opposites attract," I said and Sandy smiled.

"I've never had a boyfriend. Maybe it's because I'm disabled. I mean, who wants to date someone whom they have to constantly take care of?"

"Sandy, you're beautiful. Please don't say that."

"Thanks, but am I wrong? Let's say a guy had to choose between me and some other girl who could actually walk? Why on Earth would he ever choose me?"

"Sandy..." I said, feeling guilty.

"Just admit it's true. No guy would ever want me. I'm like Jimmy from Degrassi. You know, Drake's character. He got shot and then it was like, nobody wanted to be with him."

"You'll never get better?"

"Can't walk for the rest of my life," Sandy admitted. "I think my parents just make me come here because it's easier than them taking care of me."

I wanted to hug this poor girl, but I physically couldn't.

"Well, if guys are so vain as to not date you, then they're stupid and don't deserve you. And if you're that insecure, then why don't you date someone who also shares your condition?" I suggested and finished my slice of pizza.

"Look around, Toby. Everyone here is like, twelve. I can't get shit."

"I would date you," I told her, trying to get her to cheer up.

"You would?" Sandy asked, her eyes lighting up. "Oh, I know you're only saying that to make me feel better. You're taken."

"If I was single, I would totally ask you out," I emphasized and she smiled again.

-----------------------------------------

"When are your parents picking you up?" Spencer asked me as she stroked my hand while sitting on a stool.

"In half an hour. It's almost 10:00, baby. I don't want you driving home late."

"I just got here. Let me at least talk to my boyfriend for ten minutes."

"Fine," I said. "How was your day?"

"Not important. How was yours?"

"Boring and everyone here is too young to even try having a conversation with. All I have is Sandy," I replied and Spencer raised an eyebrow.

"She seems cute," she told me right as Sandy wheeled herself towards us.

"Please be nice, Spence. She's disabled for life."

Spencer nodded and Sandy smiled when she approached us.

"Hey, Spencer. Toby's been telling me how much he loves you."

"And I love him more," Spencer said and ruffled through my hair.

"And how you're way out of his league," she said and I blushed.

"Well, then he should feel very happy."

"I just wanted to say goodbye for the day," Sandy told us. "My parents are here."

"Oh, ya, goodnight!" I said and Spencer muttered a goodbye as Sandy wheeled herself away.

"Looks like someone has a crush," Spencer told me as I pulled her in towards me.

"Why would I like her when I have a beautiful girlfriend?"

"Um...I was talking about Sandy liking you," she said and I could feel my cheeks warming up.

"Nahhh, she's just insecure because she's disabled. Plus, there's nobody here for her to talk to except me. I just assured her that she's beautiful and that she'll find an amazing guy one day."

"That's sweet of you," Spencer said and kissed me on my cheek.

"You're not jealous, are you?"

"Tobes, we've been through so much, including our stupid jealously game. I trust you and that's all that matters."

"Good," I said and checked the clock on the wall. "Right now, I really think you should head back home. My parents are going to pick me up soon anyway."

"If you want me to leave that badly, then bye," Spencer said, but I knew she was teasing me. "Goodnight, baby."

"Night."

------------------------------------------------------

"Are you ready to go?" Dad asked me and I nodded.

"Yeah. By the way, I'm really sleepy. Is it fine if I sleep on the car ride back to the hotel?" I asked as Dad wheeled me to the car.

"Well, I actually had to tell you something."

"Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, but Mom and I were talking. We just don't think California is the right environment for you. Too crowded, not enough focus for someone in your condition."

"What are you saying?" I asked, but I could tell where this was going.

"You're not familiar with California. Your memory only allows you to remember all the events of your life that happened in Rosewood. Plus, Mom and I don't know anything about this state and we don't feel like we would be helping you if we stayed here."

"Dad, please don't. Spencer's here."

"Your health is more important than your girlfriend and frankly, she has to focus on her education. Your condition is holding her back."

"I love her," I declared as Dad helped me climb into the car.

"I'm sorry, but eventually she's going to realize that it's just too hard to take care of you and manage her school at the same time."

I mean, who wants to date someone whom they have to constantly take care of?