Chapter 223

Chapter 223: Spencer's POV

I gathered my luggage and made my way to the exit of the airport, where cab drivers waited. I checked my watch and saw that it was past midnight. Damn, I was so sleepy and most of all, hungry. Maybe Mom was right. I should just wait in the airport until Mrs. Fields picks me up in the morning.

But then...I saw him. He was standing at the exit, holding some flowers and what I believed was a box of chocolates. It had to be him yet he looked so different.

I walked slowly towards him as his eyes met mine. He flashed a grin when I finally approached him.

"You got taller if that's even possible," I said.

"You got prettier if that's even possible," Toby replied and gave me the flowers and a box of chocolates.

"You didn't have to!" I squealed as he took my suitcases from me. "How did you even know I was coming?"

"Emily told me," he said. "And I didn't really think it was the best idea for you to come so late in a cab all by yourself."

"Well, thanks," I replied and he smiled. It was the same old, sweet, adorable Toby, yet he seemed so different. Maybe it was the fact that we hadn't seen each other in a whole year. Conversing in person was awkward.

"How was your flight?" he asked courteously as we walked out the exit. It was really cold and dark. I wasn't used to this weather in sunny California. He put down my suitcases and took his jacket off. Being a gentleman as usual, Toby wrapped his jacket around me.

"Thank you," I said as we continued walking to his truck. "It was just long and I'm honestly kind of hungry now."

"Great, I know a place around here," he said as we approached his truck.

"Tobes, it's past 1."

"It's a diner, Spence. It's always open."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My eyes kept closing as Toby drove to the diner. Finally, we arrived at a small roadside restaurant. It was lit up and even had Christmas decorations. I was still wearing Toby's jacket, but I could notice Toby was slightly shivering when we got out of his truck.

"Do you want your jacket?" I asked.

"No, I'm fine. You wear it," Toby said and held the diner door open for me. It was a small little place with only two workers in it: a waiter and a chef. The waiter showed us to a table in the corner and handed us menus and a water jug.

"So how's Stanford?" Toby asked me as I flipped through the menu.

"Hard. Hella hard."

"Spence, you're a Hastings. Things aren't hard for you. YOU make things hard for others."

"I'm sorry," I said and we both giggled. "So what have you been up to lately?"

Toby looked up from his menu and poured water into two glasses. "I've actually enrolled in Rosewood Community College. I'm taking some classes. I realized I don't want to be a carpenter."

"I thought that was your passion!" I exclaimed, surprised at how much Toby had changed.

"Yeah, but I'm not getting any job offers. Trust me, I'm studying to be an architect. I'm hoping to transfer to Rosewood State next year."

"Well, I'm really proud of you," I said and smiled.

"Thanks. Is everything okay?" he asked. "I don't know, but you just seem surprised at everything I'm doing."

"I don't know, you just seem different."

"Different's good," he said, a classic line of his.

"It is," I replied as the waiter came and took our orders. 

Toby simply stared at me as I tried not to blush.

"So," I finally said, trying to start conversation again. "Are you seeing anyone now?"

Toby blushed red and looked away from me. "Yeah, there's this girl named Marie."

I wanted to scream at him, but I knew it was my idea that we needed to move on. 

"Marie?" I asked. Why did that name sound so familar?

"Yeah, she was the girl I was dancing with at that club last year. You probably know how she looks like."

"You mean the whore that was grinding on you," I said flatly.

"She's really nice and smart," Toby defended her. Bullshit!

"So you've been going out with her for a year?"

"No, no," Toby said impatiently. "She gave me her number at the club and I called her a few months ago. It's been really off and on."

"Have you slept with her?" I asked bluntly.

Toby blushed once more. Shit, he had! This player!

"No, today was actually going to be the night we did, but I canceled when I heard you were coming back."

I tried to hide my excitement, but I just smiled politely. The waiter served us the sodas and sandwiches we ordered and I started devouring my meal.

"Well, I'm sorry, Tobes. Marie is still your girlfriend, right?"

"I wouldn't call it that, Spence. I like her and she likes me, but ya know, there's not much chemistry between us. We don't even go on dates. Just hanging out in each other's houses."

"Yet you guys haven't had sex?" I asked. I almost felt like laughing at Toby's inability to bed his "girlfriend," but I was glad he had failed.

"I told you; it was supposed to be tonight," he replied and I knew he was getting pissed. "Look, she's barely my girlfriend."

"So you guys aren't exclusive?"

"I don't think she even consideres me her boyfriend. We're just flings," Toby said and shrugged. "Now, tell me about you and the million guys after you."

Ugh, I didn't want to tell Toby how pathetic my love life was.

"No sex for me either," I admitted and took a sip of my Sprite.

"I think we can change that tonight," Toby replied slyly and I spit out my Sprite all over my sandwich.