Chapter 203

Chapter 203: Spencer's POV

"How did you NOT know Toby went to California?!?!" I yelled at Emily.

"Well, I'm sorry none of you know how to use a damn phone! Or the fact that both of you think you're too good for each other to talk to anyone!" she yelled back. Damn, Emily was feisty.

"Ugh, I'm sorry, Em," I said and sat down on the couch. She sat next to me and held my hand. "Why did he go with Mona?"

"Maybe they're friends and he wanted company. Did Mr. Cavanaugh tell you anything else?"

"No, I was too embarrassed and shocked when he said they were in California. I just mumbled a goodbye and made a run for it."

"I'm sorry, Spence."

"It's not your fault," I comforted her. "I thought you were good friends with Toby. He didn't mention anything about California?"

Emily let go of my hand and stood back up. "Yeah, about that...I haven't really talked to him since the whole Alison incident."

"What incident?" I asked curiously. "The one about him fucking her against a wall?"

Emily laughed and started pacing. "She was just trying to seduce Toby, but he pushed her away. Nothing happened between them."

"Wow, how pathetic of Toby to use something that never even happened to make me jealous," I said and laughed.

"Speaking of pathetic, how's that Toby look-a-like back in California that was totally checking you out?" Emily said in a sarcastic tone.

Fortunately, I was saved from telling Emily that Kenny was gay, the doorbell rang and I volunteered to get it. I opened the door and-

"SPENCER!" Aria and Hanna screamed at the same time and threw themselves on me.

"We missed you!" Hanna said.

"How's California? Are the guys cute?" Aria asked.

"I missed you guys too and California is amazing!" I screamed happily. Emily joined in the group hug and after what seemed like ages, we all moved into the living room. Hanna and Aria were both carrying bags and sleeping bags.

"Woah, what's going on here?" I asked.

"We're having a sleepover of course!" Emily said and I squealed.

"Alison's not invited, right?" I asked.

"Hell no!" Aria, Hanna, and Emily barked at the same time and we all laughed in unison.

Amidst the laughter, my phone rang and Emily handed it over to me. I checked the caller ID and saw it was Kenny.

"Who is it?" Hanna asked.

"This guy that goes to my new school."

"Oo la la," Aria said and the girls laughed.

"He's gay!" I objected and the girls smiled. "He's probably just checking if I arrived safely. I'll be back really fast," I said and moved into the kitchen for some privacy. When I picked up the phone, I could hear a lot of noise in the background, mostly music, so I assumed Kenny was at the Winter Promenade.

"What's up, Kenny?"

"Spencer, is there a reason your ex-boyfriend is standing right next to me?" he asked.

"Toby?"

"Yeah, he's in the dance."

"Holy shit! He knows where I live in California?" I asked, surprised at how Toby managed to pinpoint my exact location. Maybe that's why he needed stalker Mona!

"Wait, you know he's in California?" Kenny asked.

"Long story. Why is he even at the dance?"

"Maybe he thought he could win you back."

"Well, he is good at confessing romantic shit in dances," I admitted.

"Wow, you guys are hella weird. I'm giving him the phone right now."

I didn't know what to do or say. I hadn't talked to Toby since our last fight. Would he yell at me? I didn't want him to. Should I ask about Mona? Alison? Should I ask him how he had the money to fly all the way to California?

"Spencer," I heard his deep voice. "Are you okay?"

My heart melted and I smiled. "Yeah, how about you?"

"Well, not really. It sucks that we just moved to opposite ends of the country. Again."

"Yeah," I agreed.

"How long are you going to be in Rosewood?"

"A week probably."

"I want to see you," he said and I smiled again.

"I want to see you too."

"I'll be coming back to Rosewood before you come back to California," Toby said. "I don't know what else to say but to wait there."

"Sure," I said, not knowing the status of our relationship.

"Um, I love you," I heard him say and I heard Kenny whistling in the background.

"I can't hear you," I lied even though my heart felt so mended right now.

"I love you, Spencer," I heard Toby's voice again.

"Toby, it's so loud on your end. I have no idea what you're saying," I said, trying to stop myself from blushing.

"You heard exactly what I said, Spence," Toby said and laughed. I suppressed a giggle myself. "I can't wait to hear that beautiful laugh of yours again."

I giggled again and Toby laughed. "Well, I need to go right now. I'm actually with the girls right now in Em's house. Sleepover fun."

"Enjoy, Spence," he said.

"Bye," I said, but then remembered something as I was about to hang up. "Oh yeah, I love you too."

"I'm sorry, what did you say? I couldn't hear you over all that noise," Toby said in a mocking tone.

"You heard exactly what I said, Tobes," I said, imitating him. "Good night." 

I could now breathe again, knowing that Toby Cavanaugh still loved me.