Chapter 48

Chapter 48: Toby's POV

"What do you know about Ali?" Spencer asks me. She looked curious. "You know what happened to her? Please, tell me, Toby!"

"No, I don't, Spence. Calm down, sweetie." Wait, did I just call Spencer 'sweetie?' Wow, this was getting awkward.

"Ali and I weren't enemies. She pretended like she hated me, but she didn't. At least, I don't think she did. We used to...you know..." I tried telling Spencer, not looking her in the eye.

"You used to what?" Spencer asks me. "You used to date?"

"Not exactly, but we both liked each other. A lot. I really miss her," I admitted, tears starting to flow down my cheeks. 

"I miss her, too, Toby. But I don't think she ever liked you; at least, she never mentioned it to us. Yet again, Ali loved to keep secrets. For ever ninety-nine secrets she kept, she told us one."

"She did like me. We could have had something more, if it weren't for Jenna. She was just ashamed of telling others. And she said she was kind of involved with some older guy," I told her.

"Ya, we know about the 'older guy.' Just don't know who it is."

"I miss Ali. I know I pretend I don't like her, especially since she blinded Jenna, led me to go to juvie, but I still had really strong feelings towards her. I've never felt that way before," I confessed.

Spencer started crying, too. I knew she wasn't crying over Ali though. I had hurt her.

"But everything changed after I met you, Spencer," I said as I grabbed her hand. "I've never loved anyone as much as you and even if Ali was alive, I would never ever ever go back to her even if I had the opportunity for you are my one and only."

Spencer punched me playfully in the stomach.

"What?" I asked her seriously.

"That was so cheesy, Toby," she replied with a laugh and I smiled, too. I was getting really cheesy. I guess that's what love did to men.