Chapter 292

Chapter 292: Toby's POV

Spencer Hastings left without another word. Hopefully, she would not return. At least, not for a while.

"Who was that?" Dad asked when I walked back in to the house.

"Um, the mailman."

"He wouldn't ring the bell. Plus, you're not holding any mail. Tell me who it was."

"Fine. It was Spencer," I admitted.

"Spencer from California? Why did she leave so soon? I want to see her!" Dad said.

"She just wanted to say hi and she really had to leave."

"I want to say hi!" Dad said excitedly and pushed past me to open the front door. Oh shit...

"Spencer!" Dad called out and unfortunately, she was just walking on the sidewalk. "Spencer!"

Spencer turned around, confused, but started walking back to us.

"Mr. Cavanaugh! What a pleasure to see you!" Spencer said and Dad and she hugged.

"Come on in!" Dad invited her and I cringed. "We can all catch up. Toby, get her some juice. Get me something to drink too." Dad excused himself to the bathroom.

"Orange or apple?" I asked, but she didn't answer. "Maybe water?"

Again, no answer.

"Do you want some juice?" I asked a little louder. 

"I'm not going to talk to you since you told me to fuck off, Toby," she said without looking at me.

"I guess it's water," I said and walked to the kitchen. 

A little while later after making some tea for Dad, I opened the door to the living room where I saw Spencer and Dad having a hearty conversation. None of them saw me so I decided to...eavesdrop for a while.

"So what made you come back?" I heard Dad ask.

"I just wanted to visit the area."

"And the people?"

"Well," Spencer said and I could hear her hesitation. "I needed to confront your son in person because he avoided all my attempts to talk to him for eight months, but it turns out that he has no interest in me."

Damn, I felt horrible. She flew all the way here just for me.

"I can try to talk to Toby."

"No, it's okay, Mr. Cavanaugh. I don't want anyone to force him to talk to me. That's just not right."

"I'm sorry, hun. Mrs. Cavanaugh and I are always here if you want to talk."

"Thank you, Mr. Cavanaugh. I should be heading out now though."

"You haven't even had something to drink yet!" Dad exclaimed and I knew that was my cue to enter the room.

"Sorry, the tea was just not boiling!" I said and handed each of them their drinks. 

"Toby, come join us!" Dad said and I took a seat next to him. "Spencer was just telling me about school."

"Cool," I muttered and looked at her. "You look really good by the way."

"Thank you," Spencer replied and smiled. "Same to you."

So much for not talking to me...

"Well, I'm going to go to the bathroom again," Dad said in the most obvious voice ever and went upstairs.

"Do you want to go for a walk?" I offered and she nodded.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"How's school?" I asked even thought it was pointless.

"Great. What are you up to?"

"I'm taking classes at Rosewood Community College. I want to pursue something engineering related."

"Nice!" Spencer said as we walked around the block. It was chilly for summer.

"Want to head back if you're feeling cold?"

"Nah," she said, but I could see her shivering slightly.

"Here," I offered and put my hand around her shoulder. She leaned her head into my shoulder as I bent down so she could reach it.

"Wait, this is weird," Spencer replied and pushed me away. "You're leading me on and then you're just going to play me and break my heart. Again. And it's going to be even more painful than last time."

"Oh, Spence, if I really did break your heart that badly last time, you wouldn't have come back here to me."