Chapter 156

Chapter 156: Toby's POV

"WHAT?" Spencer yells and pulls over to the side of the road. Oh gosh, I'm getting it. Again. Again. Again.

Instead, she turned around and looked me in the eye for the first time since we broke up.

"Why would you do something that stupid? If anyone finds out, you can be in big trouble. It's against the school laws, you know, and you're an adult."

"Nobody's going to find out!" I protested. "And I just needed a way for you to talk to me."

"Ugh," she groaned. "I don't want to hear your bullshit."

"Look, Jade and I did nothing."

"She's not the reason I'm angry at you."

"I didn't plan on having you go to jail. I was going to tell the police it was a big mistake. I just needed you to realize how stupid you were to call Alison in," I said.

"Why are you always taking Alison's side?" Spencer asked.

"I'm not taking Alison's side. I'm taking the right side."

"Well, it still doesn't justify what you did. Now let's just go back home," Spencer said and turned on the engine. She would never forgive me. Not like this...

-------- The week passes. Now it's Saturday. --------

"Great job, Cavanaugh," Mr. Wright, my boss told me as I was cleaning up. I was proud of my work and this job in Bucks County was really paying well.

"Thanks, sir," I said and he smiled.

"Anyway, you need to lay some ground work for the backyard," he said. "Then you can go home."

"Um, sir, I thought my work for the day was done."

"Well, it's done after the backyard."

"Please, sir, just today, can I leave early?" I pleaded.

"Come on, Cavanaugh, what's so important? You told me you were free."

"Yeah, I'm free until 2:30, but it's almost 3 now and I really need to head home. Please, sir," I begged.

"What's so important?"

I sighed and realized how stupid I was going to sound. "I have to go to this dance."

Mr. Wright started laughing. I knew it. "Well, Cavanaugh, I can't have quitters on the job here. Either it's that dance or this. If you go to the dance, I'm going to have to fire you, but if you work on the backyard until 6:30, I'll give you a raise."

Shit, I didn't know what to do. I needed the money and I didn't even have a pass to the dance, so I was taking a huge risk here. 

"Goodbye, sir. It's been a pleasure working for you the past few days."