Chapter 143

Chapter 143: Spencer's POV

YOU ARE SO STUPID, SPENCER HASTINGS!

I wanted to say it was all a joke, that Toby and I weren't engaged, but I decided to have a little fun with it. I still remember that time Ali told us she was eloping with a guy she met online.

Alison examined my ring and nodded in approval. "Why didn't you tell me before?"

"We didn't want to overwhelm you so soon. Especially after the kidnap," Toby said in a condescending tone.

"Well, congratulations. When's the wedding?" Ali asked.

"Um," I began, but Toby cut me off.

"Next November. November 6: it'll be our two year anniversary," he replied and I was impressed.

"Well, tell me how you did it," Alison said.

"How we did what?" I asked.

"How Toby proposed!"

"Oh, well, we don't have time for that," I said, but Toby cut me off again.

"It was November 6, of course. I picked her up for our anniversary dinner, but instead took her to this dinky motel we had our first kiss in," Toby said without even pausing to think. "She was kind of disappointed, but I had paid for the same room and when we entered it, it was dark with only candles lighting the room. Then on the bed, I had arranged rose petals in a way that they spelled out "will you" and I remember, her face was so confused. So I turned around and pulled the ring out of my pocket and got on one knee and said, "marry me." But not really to finish a question, more like a request. And then she said, "of course," and we kissed and it was honestly the happiest moment of my life."

I was almost crying at this point because Toby had described "the proposal" so sincerely and it was almost like he had this in mind for a long time, longing for the day when he could actually make it true.