Chapter 289

Chapter 289: Spencer's POV

"Are you okay?" I asked with worry as I picked up Toby's 1:00 AM call.

"I'm fine. Sorry, did I wake you up?"

"Yeah, but tell me what's wrong. I'm scared."

"My dad picked me up and guess what news he had for me? Apparently, we're moving back to Rosewood."

I didn't even know what to say. Should I laugh?

"You're kidding, right?"

"Nope. My dad doesn't think California is a safe environment for me, especially since I can't remember anything about it."

"You're injured, Toby! You can't go anywhere! You have to stay here with me!"

"Spencer, I'm sorry. I tried arguing, but he won't even listen to me. Look, I'm sorry for waking you up. Just go back to sleep and I'll come to your house first think in the morning."

"I have class," I said and hung up.

——————————————————————————————————————————

It was Toby. Again. The fifth fucking time in two minutes. I had driven back home after my last class because I was in no mood to be all alone in my apartment.

"What?" I asked when I picked up the phone.

"Spencer, this isn't my fault! I can't do anything about it! I tried everything! Can I please just come over so we can discuss this in person?"

"If that makes you feel less guilty, then sure," I said bluntly.

"I can never do anything right."

"Welcome to being my boyfriend," I said and managed to giggle.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

"Can't you just adjust to California? You're old enough."

"I might be old, but I can't take care of myself," Toby replied as I helped him eat some spaghetti I cooked. "I can't live here by myself."

"I'll take care of you."

"Spence, you're studying. I'm not going to be the one to hold you back."

"I want to take care of you. I love you," I said sternly, feeling a little offended.

"Stop it, okay? I'm an obstacle in your way."

"I have overcome many obstacles before."

"I'm moving to Rosewood whether you like it or not. There's always long distance, Spence."

"Those suck shit," I said bluntly and this time, Toby looked offended.

"Then what?"

"I'm coming with you."

"No! Spencer, are you crazy? You're going to be a lawyer! You're following your dreams!"

"More like my parents' dreams!" I yelled in frustration.

"Shut up, Spence. From what I've heard, Stanford has always been your dream school and I'm not going to be the reason you're dropping out of it."

"I'm moving to Rosewood no matter what you say. I'll go to a college there."

"Well, there's no point in that because I'm breaking up with you," Toby replied and wheeled himself towards the front door.

—-

Just wait. :)