Chapter 37

With the sunglasses on my nose and a cup full of coffee, I had ventured onto the paddock. Before that, I had been able to move to Lando, which had taken longer thanks to my friend. Not because we had sex, but because my friend found it funny to annoy his catastrophic girlfriend. In the end, he held me, so I couldn't go. Which really annoyed me. I didn't know if my bad mood was due to the hangover, but Now I need some distance from Lando.

Since the aspirin wasn't really helped, I wanted to hide unnoticed in the motor home. Unfortunately, Michael crossed my plan. He had intercepted me in front of the building and put an arm on my shoulder.

"Tomorrow my favourite assistant of Claire. You know how much I appreciated and loved you?" I looked at him with raised eyebrows. Not only was I the only assistant, but his whole demeanour was very strange.

He had noticed my scepticism and had stopped in front of the rear pit entrance: "DJLA has not yet delivered the new parts. I would call, but when I did that a week ago, your mother wasn't exactly relaxed." Now I had to laugh. Michael, a man in his mid-50s, was afraid of a Latina. Knowing my mother, I could only imagine the conversation too well, but that didn't change the fact that I found it funny.

"Is that a yes?" the Briton asked cautiously. Still laughing, I nodded and tried to calm down. Unfortunately, I couldn't really do it, as I kept having the pictures of the presentation of the conversation in my head. But Michael had immediately made himself out of the dust after my nod, because he was uncomfortable. So, I stood alone behind the box and laughed at myself.

The two drivers had also come to the box and looked at me slightly distraught: "Should I get a psychiatrist?" Robert had only whispered this to George, but I had heard it. At that moment my laughter died, and I pinched my eyes. The Pole couldn't see this because of my sunglasses, but I felt more powerful with it. With my 1.60 I could use every spark of self-confidence.

"Thin ice Mr. Kubica", I built myself up as dangerously as possible in front of him. The Briton bit his cheek so as not to laugh and the Pole also had a lot of trouble to stay serious. This in turn made me struggle, and so we all laughed.

Still laughing we entered the box as it was time for the race. Unfortunately, we had to separate there, because the drivers had to go to their cars and I had to go to my place at the monitors. There, without saying a word, I put my headphones on properly and plugged them on at the desk.

Claire and Michael looked at me sceptically: "Did anyone have a long night yesterday? I would have done something like that in the past, but you just don't get any younger." I just nodded because I just wanted to rest, the day should just pass by.

I just sat in my seat and looked at the monitor, but I didn't really look at what was happening. Likewise, I just looked at the lap count and waited until everyone was finally in the finish. Today just didn't seem to be over for me.

Since my friend had narrowly missed the points, I could imagine how he was doing. That's why I didn't go through our pits, but along the pit road to McLaren. Lando had just got out of the car, and you could see the disappointment of him. I had observed this briefly from afar, but then I managed to go to him.

He had turned his back to me, so I shaved my arms around his torso from behind: "Today we both had no luck. At least nothing happened to you." Surprised, Lando turned around in the embrace and a slight smile escaped him. It died when he noticed the jacket. But before he could say anything about it, I just shook my head. Luckily, that's how he let it be.

"Lando the press is waiting," a woman had appeared behind my friend. She was responsible for the press appointments of Lando and Carlos and actually quite nice. I hadn't had much to do with her, but as far as I could tell, she was really okay.

Where life leads usOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara