Chapter 70

"That would be perfect," I looked skeptically at my friend. He pointed to a fir tree that was a bit exaggerated for my taste, so I shook my head. Actually, I found the whole christmas tree to buy unnecessary, because we wouldn't be at home for Christmas. But Lando really wanted to have a Christmas tree and unfortunately it should be real.

But since we were already in the process of picking one, it should also be the best: "It's quite bushy, how do you want to hang something there." Lando sighed and turned around again, probably cursing himself, but he had to go through that.

Lando would have taken every tree so we could go home, but I didn't put any tree in the living room: "Do you even have jewelry to decorate?" I couldn't imagine Lando storing bullets and things like that in the attic.

Embarrassed, my friend looked at me, which was probably as much as no. Now it was the sigh, this afternoon would probably last a long time, if we had to get jewelry. As nice as Lando was, he had now also turned on Instagram Live. Feeling the whole world, he took part in my hopeless quest.

"So I think this tree is perfect, babe?" I turned to him. But what I saw next to my friend could no longer be called a tree. But now that he had the whole world watch, I didn't want to tell him that directly. So I did what I had always done with my parents when I didn't agree with them but couldn't say it.

With a fake smile, I looked at my friend: "I've never seen a tree like this, really unique." It wasn't lying, I'd never really seen a crippled tree like this.

Lando was really excited about this tree, while I almost got a cramp from my false laughter. So slowly died all hope that my friend wanted to hide me. He was really serious about this tree, which is why he got the seller. I just stared at the tree and wished I had already voted for the first tree. All the trees would have been better than these, but if this tree makes Lando happy, he should get it.

Now I was glad that we were already leaving on Sunday and I had to endure the tree only 6 days. Because we would fly from Lando's parents directly to my parents and New Year's Eve we were all in Monaco, after that was the week of holidays I had given Lando. With that we would have survived the Christmas season and for me the university would probably wait.

"This one," Lando proudly showed the seller the tree. He said nothing, but I could only see his astonishment. Lando gave me his phone with the live stream because he was carrying the tree.

Since I had nothing to do, I read through a comment: "Yes, I also thought that he would alienate me. And no, he really buys it. I hope in the hardware store have enough jewelry to cover the bare spots." I couldn't hide a real smile, because actually the tree didn't matter at Christmas.

"As long as we are not at home for Christmas anyway, he can also abuse a fir branch as a tree. Have you ever bought a tree?", I had no idea how to deal with such live streams. Since I didn't want to create a weird silence, I tried it with normal conversation, but I felt subtly stupid.

I let the comments go through as best I could: "No, I like Christmas. But from Sunday we are no longer at home until mid-January, which is why I find the tree unnecessary. But since Lando really wanted one, we are here and have probably the ugliest tree in the world."

"That's tree-shaming!" Lando had probably heard my last statement. He had the tree on his shoulders and looked at me as seriously as possible. But Tree-Shaming was not serious for him either. Instead of arguing with him, I gave him a kiss on the cheek.

Then I turned to the tree to join in the fun: "Sorry, tree. Your inner values are more important to us, I am sure that you are the most beautiful tree in the world."

"How do you even want to get in the car?" the next problem came to mind. We were standing in front of his McLaren, which had no trunk in that sense. At least not one in which you could grab a tree.