Chapter 94

Now we stood in the crowd of reporters, sponsors and staff. I let my gaze wander through the crowd again and again, hoping to find Maison, but there was no trace of the Italian. I cursed him for it because I wanted to know what was going on.

"Are you looking for whom?" I looked confused at my friend. He must have noticed my searching gaze, but with his question he had brought me out of my world of thought. So it took me a moment to understand what he was asking me.

Out of reflex, I shook my head, otherwise Lando would only have asked more: "No, just looked around me to see who everything is here. But nobody was looking for anything specific, after all, all sponsors are equally important and the press can do me anyway." He seemed to believe me at least this time, which calmed me down a bit. I really didn't like to lie to him, but somehow I had no other choice, because he shouldn't be dragged into the abyss with me.

Before Lando could say anything, Claire approached us with a man: "May I introduce Jost Capito and this is my business partner Laura Russo Lopez and her boyfriend Lando Norris. He drives for McLaren." I kindly shook his hand and turned good mine into evil game. I was pretty sure he had something to do with the planned sale and I didn't like that. I still hoped that the deal would burst and everything would settle down again.

"Claire has already told me a lot about you," I continued to smile at him in agony. In the process, I had become sick of his slime. But for a second I probably hadn't kept my façade well enough and given my inner sight for a moment.

Worried, my friend looked at me, "Is something wrong? Do you need fresh air?" Immediately I nodded because I just wanted to leave. I couldn't stand it for a second with the guy as long as I couldn't get my thoughts away from the sale. Maybe he wasn't a buyer, but maybe he was. It felt like everyone in here could have been this and thus a threat in my eyes. After all, for me, Williams simply belonged to the founder's family, how could Frank leave it at that.

"Just do it," Claire agreed, "We'll just wait a little longer and delay the presentation until you feel fit again, Laura." I just nodded and leaned on my friend more than necessary. Because I wanted to portray my situation even worse than it was. So you wouldn't blame me for stopping the conversation so abruptly.

As soon as Lando had brought me to the fresh air at a back exit, I broke away from him: "Don't you want to tell me what's going on? Does it have anything to do with the conversation earlier?" Internally, I struggled with myself, because actually I was not allowed to tell him, but at least I wanted to share this with him. I already had enough secrets from him and he would hopefully keep tight.

"Promise me," I demanded of my friend, "not to tell any human soul about it. Not your parents nobody, that stays between us, because not even the team knows." Nervously, my friend nodded at me and seemed to be prepared for the worst, just as I had done.

"Claire and Frank sell their shares to Williams," Lando's mouth opened. With big eyes and an open mouth, he stared at me and didn't know what to say. So he just stammered some letters in confusion, which made no sense.

After just over a minute, he had gathered again to some extent: "This is really surprising, is it so bad for Williams?" Since he already knew, I saw no reason to lie, so I nodded. I was aware that I had violated the contract, but I was also sure that Lando would remain silent.

"Crass and you think the guy could be a possible buyer?" I nodded again. At least my friend seemed to understand my reaction now. He drove through his hair slightly overwhelmed and didn't seem to know what to say.

Then he sat down next to me: "It's their right to sell, even if you don't want to hear it. Plus, they wouldn't sell anyone to someone who doesn't want the best for the team." Actually, I would have been angry about his words, but somehow I was too tired. Instead, I lit a cigarette, which Lando looks at suspiciously, but said nothing.