Chapter 2

Annoyed, I settled back into my place between the McLaren drivers. In my head, I already put the words I used later, if I spoke to my father.

Now Lando looked to me cautiously: "All good?" I just nodded a little away, because I didn't have to rub my family's face under my nose. To make my statement more credible, I smiled once. In their faces I could see that no one believed me. No one dared to ask, which is why we all sat quietly at the table. Until Carlos started a conversation about the race on Sunday and other racers.

"Your mother is coming," I turned around in horror. Breathed deep when I only recognized my stepmother. At the age of 3, she was my father's longest relationship to date. Too many times I came to visit, there was a new woman at Dad's side. As a child, I didn't pay attention to them. In the teenage years, however, there had often been arguments, because the ladies wanted to get involved and I had given them a not so nice answer.

The many surgeries and make-up made her look like a doll: "There's my little princess. What was your week like with Dad?"» There was absolutely nothing in her face. This could have been used as a deterrent against surgery. Even if she wasn't such a bitch, at least she had the heart in the right spot, so she just got on my nerves. She treated me like a child even though she was only 6 years older than me. Unfortunately, she couldn't be seen as having just turned 26, she could have been old, and she wouldn't have been looked at by the high amount of plastic.

"Everything was good, as always. Can still chat later, but Dad needs you," Maria once looked over her shoulder to my father in amazement. She said goodbye before going back to my father, wobbling her hip. When she snuggled up for the welcome, I turned around disgusted. God, the two were embarrassed.

Alexander tried to be polite: "Nice mother." I couldn't pull myself together and started laughing out loud. Which probably had to follow not only the attention of our table. But I ignored the people around us and tried to catch myself again. Because the poor boy didn't know why I was laughing.

"She's not just my mother's girlfriend. If my mother were here, World War III would break out. My parents can't stand death. And let's be honest, Maria and I don't see the bean like happiness for me," I quickly wiped away the laughter tears and exhaled again. The boys looked at me sympathetically, they could understand why I wouldn't like to look like Maria. But she looked far worse. I had only seen her once without and after that I was ready for a psychiatrist. The plastic stuff had totally ruined her face, at least that was my opinion.

I had probably broken the ice with this statement. The tension had disappeared, and the boys were talking about everything. Every now and then they asked me, but fortunately only superficially. Even though I had developed a sympathy with the four men by now, certain things did not matter to them. After this weekend they would go to the next route and I flew to Barcelona.

We were still sitting at the table when Max said goodbye first. He had promised his girlfriend to call her at around 8am on Facetime. Shortly thereafter, Carlos followed the example of the Red Bull driver and also disappeared into his room. As the Spaniard left the room, I shook my head playfully.

"Today's youth has no decency," we had to laugh at all three of them. Lando laughed so contagiously that I couldn't stop. His laughter was unique, and I found the contagious thing about it incredibly beautiful. Just at the thought of his laughter, it ran down my back cold. That's why I stopped laughing.

We had a short chat before Alex had said goodbye to his room: "There were only two left." Even though I had said it more to myself, Lando had heard it. He nodded silently and looked at his phone. Because I didn't know what else to do, I did the same to him. So, I saw the message from my mother, who wanted a response. That's why I could only sigh. What the McLaren driver had noticed, he looked at me. But I just waved off. But I had to bite the sour apple slowly and just talk to my father. If I didn't want to be full of messages from my mother.