Soon To Be History

IT'S MY SWEET BABY GIRL'S BIRTHDAY SO EVERYBODY BETTER WISH A HER HAPPY MF-ING BIRTHDAY IN THE COMMENT SECTION RIGHT NOW! also, Betty's wearing that (^^) in this because I said so 😤. Enjoy, tehe.

Song Credit: "Where's My Love" by SMYL (diverse salty angels know where this is from ;) )

Low and behold, a blonde crying in the seclusion of The Blue & Gold room, her head in her hands and cheekbones red from the constant wiping of tears. It was clear that Betty Cooper was never told that princesses aren't allowed to cry.

Even silently, the blonde was both yelling at and consoling herself, the angel and devil on each shoulder winning a tad bit before losing to the other. Sometimes it felt like the devil had ripped the angel's wings off, making it impossible for the glass to be seen as half-full.

And in a move of vengeance, the angel would steal the devil's horns, making the monster seem more pathetic than fearsome. But no matter the cat-and-mouse games that her conscious played with each other, neither won and neither lost; a constant state of stalemate.

The floor soon proved to be unwelcoming to Betty as she stood up, a sigh leaving her lips while the cuff of her sweater made its way under her right eye, her fingers laying over the fabric to hold it in place.

As the blonde believed herself to be pulled together--rather by force than genuine coping--the wooden door of the small journalism room opened and the familiar aroma of wintergreen-masked cigarettes made a subtle entry.

"Hey," Jughead said with a smile before taking into account how quick Betty was to turn her back to him, quite literally, with her hand up to her lips and ponytail swinging behind her. "Hey, what's going on?" he asked, her body language inflicting a change in his tone.

A gentle hand on Betty's shoulder returned her around as sincerely furrowed eyebrows trying to dissect the problem at hand. Although, as soon as she turned around, the tears were back and more than her poor sweater sleeve could clean up as she walked into Jughead's arms.

He was taken aback but relieved to see it wasn't him who had done anything wrong. Then it hit him that someone else had done something and that it was his job to be the shoulder for the weary blonde to rest her head on.

"What happened?" Jughead asked with a hand on each of Betty's shoulders, his left accompanying the devil and the right accompanying the angel. "It's...it's my mom," She answered before sniffling, her eyes idly scanning for a box of Kleenex for her to replace her sleeve.

"We got in another fight and I just haven't really been...able to process it," Betty explained, before holding her elbows, another sigh leaving the chapped lips of the melancholy blonde. "I feel guilty, but at the same, I'm mad at her and it's just...it's a lot."

"Hey, hey, I get it. It's okay," Jughead replied with a step closer, prepared to combat any gaslighting that Betty's anxiety sprung on her. "I can't decide if I should be apologetic or antagonistic," the blonde sighed, tired eyes looking down as one hand let go of her elbow and rose to lay against her chest.

Without a word, Jughead engulfed Betty in another hug, her head laying on his shoulder while a forbearing hand walked laps around her back. "I know, hon, but just think of it like this," he paused, untangling his arms from the resilient blonde to bring a hand to the back of her neck.

"All this will be over soon. You and I will be on the road to a new place where you won't have to feel sorry or angry about anything. We can go wherever you want and do anything. This is all a prologue to our happy story," he explained, his eyes tracing back and forth between hers.

"Okay?" was the single word accompanying Jughead's hand holding both of hers. Betty sniffled again, cleared her throat, and lifting her eyes from their gaze on the floor. "Okay."