Locker

TW: Mentions of Suicide, Bullying

It was red; Betty was seeing red. There she stood, in front of her locker, the words "Go To Hell Serpent Slut" revealed before her. She was angry enough to kill, or at least hurt someone as her skin stung with every move her nails made deeper into her palms.

Her thoughts were interrupted by Jughead stepping in front of her. Betty reached forward in an attempt to take the vandalism down, but he stopped her as she cried out,  "It's nothing, Jug. It's just some jerk with a can of spray paint!" "I don't think that's spray paint," Jughead replied in a low voice.

He carried her away before being stopped by Chuck. "What do you want?" Betty spoke angrily through her gritted teeth. "Well, hello to you too. Hate to see you walking away from my masterpiece so soon," Chuck said with an egotistical smirk. "You did that?!" Jughead snapped, ready to beat Chuck in an instant.

"Jug, it's fine," Betty mumbled, with her head down, still Jughead's protective arms. "No, it's not, Betts! I'm not gonna stand by and let this cunt hurt you," He spoke. "Oh, please, what are you gonna do? Fighting me is practically a death wish," Chuck said.

And right then, Betty lost it. No way would anyone ever get away with that, and so without thinking, she freed herself of Jughead's arms and punched Chuck Clayton right in the face. He was taken back, literally, and Jughead was frozen in shock. He wanted to stop her, to hold her back and calm her down, not for her to get in trouble or have Chuck strike back.

When Chuck looked up again, Jughead wanted to grab Betty and run. Not because he was a coward, but because he needed Betty to be safe. Punching the captain of the football team? Not safe. Chuck was still holding his nose, but that didn't stop Betty from slapping him in the face, then kneeing him in the chest.

Betty pushed her way through the crowd that had formed around them, and Jughead raced to catch up with her. She stormed into The Blue and Gold office, where they worked on the school newspaper, and Jughead walked in after her, shutting the door as Betty started to break down, crying and sobbing.

"Betty, what was that?" Jughead asked full of concern. Jughead hadn't noticed her sobs, but he did soon enough. "Oh, Betty," Jughead sighed, his heart breaking at the sight of the love of his life hurting. She fell to the ground, and Jughead picked up his pace to move to her, sitting down on the ground next to her and pulling her close to him.

"Why does everyone hate me?" Betty sobbed. "No, no one hates you. We all love you. Me, Veronica, Archie, your parents, Polly, even Cheryl cares about you," Jughead reassured her while stroking her arm. "I just don't know what to do, Jug. Sometimes I think the world would be better if I just killed myself," Betty cried.

Those words broke Jughead's heart. He couldn't live without Betty. Jughead felt a tear run down his cheek as he imagined hearing the words "Betty Cooper is dead." He couldn't do it. "Betty, look at me." Betty hesitantly did as told as he responded, "I love you more than anything else. You are so important to me. I will always be here. Please, believe me, trust me to know that I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you. You're so amazing and you talented. You are the light of my life."

Jughead's voice cracked a few times, but he didn't care. He didn't do well with emotions, because he never really had any, but then Betty Cooper walked into his life and gave him a whole set of them. Betty laid her head on Jughead's chest and closed her tired eyes. "I love you, Jughead," Betty said sleepily. "I love you, Betty," Jughead replied.

His legs were starting to cramp, and he realized just how much dust was on the dirty school floor, but there, holding his Juliet, there was nowhere else he would rather be.