Good Enough

Partly inspired by a mini AU by bugloveau on Instagram, whose account I ADORE, so go ahead and check out their Instagram and enjoy!

"That's Betty Cooper's boyfriend?"

"How the hell did that happen?"

"She's so out of his league."

"Southside trash."

"Bet you fifty bucks they're over by semester break."

Jughead was used to the crude remarks made by his peers as he walked down the hallways of Riverdale High. He wasn't a fan of them, but he tolerated them nonetheless, seeing harassment as just something that came with the title, 'Betty Cooper's boyfriend'.

Jughead had a tendency to present himself as unbothered by the comments, brushing them off as nothing much, but on the inside, it hurt. He started becoming insecure about whether or not he was right for Betty; if he was good enough.

"And then tomorrow night, I can stop by after the student council meeting," Betty said with a small smile, both of her hands planted on Jughead's shoulders as the two stood face-to-face in the Blue & Gold Room.

"Okay, sounds cool," Jughead mumbled in response, avoiding eye contact as she tilted her head with a small frown. "Jug. Juggie, what's wrong?" Betty asked, trying to get him to look at her. "It's nothing," he replied, shifting slightly.

"C'mon, talk to me," she replied, a hopeful smile starting to come about her lips. "Don't you think Archie's more your type? Or Reggie?" he asked, his arms crossed as each word shot daggers through his heart.

"What? Jug, what're you talking about?" Betty asked, her eyebrows furrowed and tears lightly. "I mean...haven't you considered dating someone a little more...like you?" Jughead asked with a shrug.

"A Northsider, you mean?" she asked with a small chuckle, stepping closer and putting her hands on his shoulders. "Jug, I like you. If I didn't, I would be here right now. And I definitely wouldn't be giving you this," she smiled before pressing her lips to his.

Jughead sighed as they departed, pushing her away gently with a hand on her chest. "I just...I worry that I'm not good enough for you, Betts," he sighed, trying to look down at much as possible. "What? Jug, that's ridiculous," she said with a light chuckle. "Is it? I mean, people started talking about you, and last week you had to pay for dinner because I was waiting on my check, and--" "Hey, hey. Listen to me, babe. I don't care what people say or who pays for our dates. I care about you. I always have, I always will. And you never have to worry about being good enough for me because you are. Better than good," the blonde smiled before, watching as he did so too.

The sight made Betty giggle before pulling him close and kissing their lips together. "Okay?" she asked with a hopeful smile. "Okay," Jughead chuckled, watching Betty smile even wider before pulling her back into his embrace.