The Party ("Nick St. Clair" Part 3)

TW: sexual assault, roofies

Betty's POV

When Friday came, I dreaded Veronica's party. Loud music, crowds of people, the scent of sweat and alcohol; that's the last thing I need after a whole week of complete and utter sleepless nights.

"Betty, do not tell me you plan on wearing that to my party," Veronica said as I sat on the edge of her bed while she rummaged through her closet. "What? I'm comfy," I replied, self-consciously tugging at my romper.

"How about this?" V asked, pulling out a black tank top with a knee-high maroon circle skirt. "V, it's too much, really," I said dismissingly. "Okay, fine. If you don't want to, then don't. I'm sorry I pushed you," she apologized, starting to put the outfit back. 

"Wait, can I see it really quick?" I asked softly. Veronica smiled in response and brought it over to me. "I don't really know if it's my look," I said, tilting my head to the side. "That's why I planned backups!" She said excitedly, setting that outfit beside me on her bed and walking back to her closet.

The next one was a short-sleeved lavender dress that was about mid-thigh. It had a low V-neck and an X-shape over it. "Cute, right?" V asked. "Very," I replied. "You think Jughead would like it?" I asked. Veronica sighed and rolled her eyes kiddingly. "Girl, dress for you. Not for your boyfriend, not for attention, not even for your best friend."

"Oh really? Because if I recall correctly," I paused taking a moment to form my hands like a posh rich girl. "Betty, do not tell me you plan on wearing that to my party," I mocked. "Okay, you know what, I am just trying to help you," Veronica snapped back as we both laughed.

"If you say no to this next one, I will tackle you," she said, going back in her closet and bringing out a short, spaghetti-strap dress that had a pastel pink top and white skirt. "Okay, this one, I like," I said, reaching out for the dress.

"Perfect!" V exclaimed happily. "Try it on!" I took the dress from Veronica's hands and slipped it on over my romper, removing it from underneath the dress. She came over and pulled my hair out of its ponytail, roughing it up a bit and said, "Mirror, right now. You need to see this."

I walked over to her stand-up mirror and looked at my reflection. Damn. "Keep it. You look better in it than I ever could," Veronica laughed. "Wow, V. I really don't know what to say, thank you," I smiled, turning around and hugging her.  

"Okay, we still have an hour before the party starts and Cheryl's coming over in a few to get ready, so why don't you stop by Pop's so you and Jughead can eat dinner. This thing won't be over until midnight and I know you'll be passed out by ten," she joked. 

"Um, about that," I said, dully. "I actually haven't been able to sleep for a while." "Really, do you know why?" Veronica asked with furrowed eyebrows. "No. I haven't gone to the doctor yet because I don't think its too urgent yet, but I just haven't been able to find working sleeping pills," I admitted. 

"I know Nick has trouble sleeping, too. He told me that he takes these pills that always work for him. If you want I can talk to him about getting some for you." "I don't know, V. I don't want you or him to go through any trouble," I replied, shrugging the thought off.

---

Cheryl, Archie, Nick, Jughead, and I were the first ones at the Pembrooke when the party started. Cheryl was in a short, long-sleeved red dress and Archie, Nick, and Jug were all in their normal attire while I wore my new dress.

"Wow, you guys look great! Especially you, Betty. Veronica did a great job picking that dress for you," Nick said. Jughead was obviously jealous, and I was a bit uncomfortable myself, but I  pulled myself together and replied, "Thanks, Nick. you look great, too," before whispering "Calm down, he's just being nice," to Jughead.