Shy

Song Credit: "Laughing On The Outside" by Bernadette Carroll

Betty Cooper was a shy girl. She didn't have friends, she hardly spoke. She always sat under the big oak tree behind the baseball field, and she always sat alone.

Jughead Jones wasn't much of an extrovert himself, but he was much more social than Betty. he knew people, people knew him; nobody could say the same for Betty.

"Betty Cooper, right?" Jughead asked nervously, standing at her lunch table. Betty looked up and gave a simple nod.

"You can sit if you'd like," Betty replied softly, moving herself over for him to sit down. Although Betty was a loner, for some reason she didn't want to be alone then.

Although she wasn't fond of people, he wasn't just some person. "I'm--"

"Jughead Jones? I read your articles," Betty interrupted with a smile. "Yes. And thank you," Jughead replied, also smiling.

Day after day, they sat by each other at lunch. They waved to each other in the halls. But Jughead never went to her oak tree. He didn't want to invade her safe place; her sanctuary. Instead, he would stand from afar and watch her read, or write, or think. Jughead had found Betty to be very interesting.

Each day, they managed to get closer. It didn't take long before Betty's walls started coming down. It started with taking off one brick at a time. Now she was taking five. And when she only had one brick left, she asked the question.

"Do you want to come to the oak tree with me?"

The two walked to the baseball field together, going behind it to the tree. They sat beside each other. They didn't speak. "What do you want to talk about?" asked Jughead, turning to look at Betty, who was looking straight ahead.

"I don't," she replied simply without turning her head. Jughead understood completely. "Okay." After a minute or two of silence, Betty looked over at the boy with ink black locks tucked away in a gray beanie, speaking up. "Jughead?" He turned to look at Betty again for a split second before he felt her lips on his.

Betty's last brick was gone.