Secret Santa

I'm not sure which holiday(s) you all celebrate, or if you even celebrate anything, but it's December 25, so merry Christmas, y'all! Enjoy!

Timeset: 2x09

Jughead had never agreed with Cheryl Blossom more. "Dear God, can we get this torture over with?" the redhead asked with a roll of her eyes, arms crossed. 

The eight of them; Archie, Betty, Veronica, Jughead, Cheryl, Josie, Kevin, and Reggie sat around the Andrews family's living room, Archie having invited them over for the one holiday tradition they had: Secret Santa.

It had only been a day since Betty and Jughead's break up; Betty left crying in a Southside parking lot and Jughead trashing his trailer in response the night before. It was painful to be around each other without their fingers interlaced or arms draped over each other; almost unbearable.

"Well, I think I know who this is from based on wrapping skills," Betty chuckled, holding her wrapped gift in her lap and looking at Archie. "Um, not me, Betty, but thanks for coming at my wrapping skills like that," Archie chuckled in response, making the blonde laugh and look around.

"Wait, then who was my Secret Santa?" she asked before being cut off by Veronica. "Oh my God, B, just open the damn present," with a smile. "Okay, okay," Betty replied, ripping the silver paper apart to reveal a copy of "Beloved" by Toni Morrison.

"Wow," she breathed with a smile, looking down at the book. "I've wanted this for so long; I couldn't find it anywhere." "Now would be a good time for Betty's Secret Santa to reveal themselves," Kevin announced, looking around the room as everyone shrugged. 

"Nobody got me this?" Betty asked, looking around with her eyebrows slightly furrowed. Jughead wanted to chuckle at the sight, remembering all the times she'd make the same face in the Blue & Gold Room when she investigated a new case.

"Okay, well, that's weird," she said before dismissing the thought, letting the rest of the"party" go on.

---

It had been about an hour after the gifts were handed out; everyone either eating or hanging out with each other or their phones. That was when he saw her sitting at the table, flipping through the pages of her new book with a smile.

Jughead sighed to himself before walking over, tapping her shoulder gently and waiting for the blonde to look up. "Oh, hey," Betty said awkwardly, closing her book slowly. "Hey, can I talk to you outside for a minute?" he asked his hand slightly motioning toward the door.

"Um, yeah. Yeah, sure, let me just grab my coat," she replied, standing up from the table and taking her beige coat from the rack by Archie's front door, stepping out onto the patio with Jughead.

"I got you the book," he admitted once the door was shut. "You did?" Betty asked as he nodded. "Thanks, Jug, it really means a lot." "I'm sorry, Betty. I'm sorry for everything," Jughead said as Betty tried to fit her hands in the sleeves of her coat. 

"Are your hands cold?" he asked, concerned. "Y-Yeah, kinda," Betty admitted before Jughead took her hands in his, enclosing her fists in gentle, somehow warm hands. "Thanks," she said, avoiding eye contact.

"I don't wanna seem like one of those jerk guys that comes running back, but Betty, I miss you," he said sincerely, watching as Betty's expression almost completely changed. "I miss you, too, Jug," Betty replied, her voice cracking as her eyes began to water.

"Hey, hey, what's wrong?" he asked softly, his head slightly tilted to the side. "I miss you so much," she cried, sniffling and pulling her hands away from him to dry her tears. "A-And being here with you, it hurts. It hurts me so much."

"Then let's make it not hurt," Jughead said softly, his hands coming to the sides of her face. "I know I hurt you, Betts, I know that. And I will apologize until I die. But I love you, Betty. I still love you."

"I love you too," Betty admitted, her voice cracking once more. "Then why don't we just put all this pain to rest and be happy again?" he suggested. She smiled, letting out a small breathy chuckle before her eyes glanced up. "Look," she said, pointing to the roof of the patio.

"Mistletoe," Jughead chuckled before looking down at the small blonde. They shared a small laugh before her lips were on his, each other's hands on the sides of their heads as they smiled against each other's lips.