Starve

TW: anorexia

Jughead's POV

"Betty, why don't you eat your burger?" I asked, looking over at my girlfriend, who looked like she was dissociating. "I'm not hungry," she replied, looking out the window of our booth. Both Veronica and Archie's heads raised. We've all heard Betty say that way too many times this week.

"You've been 'not hungry' for five days. Come on, babe. Eat." "Why are you pushing this on me?" Betty snapped, finally looking over at us. "Betty, no one's pushing anything on you. We just need to make sure you're eating," Veronica coaxed slowly.

"Why do you all care so much? For all you know, I eat at night when you guys aren't around!" "Well, if you can eat alone, you can eat accompanied. Burger, now," I instructed. I know I sounded harsh, but the last time Betty wouldn't eat, she ended up in the hospital for three weeks.

"When are you gonna stop treating me like a baby, Jug? I don't need your instructions," Betty replied. Veronica's expression showed she knew what was happening and she was scared, while Archie stayed silent and looked like he didn't want to be here.

"Betty, just eat your food. Jughead's just trying to look out for you. We all are," Archie said. "Well, look somewhere else!" Betty exclaimed before going back to looking out the window.

---

That night, I stopped by her house, knowing her mom was out, with a box of apology chocolates. "I got this for you," I said as she turned around to face me in her living room. "Are you fucking serious?" she asked in, what I'll admit was a harsh tone.

"Is something wrong?" I asked, confused. "Your apology for forcing food on me is...food," Betty scoffed. "Fuck the chocolates, Betts. Let's just...cuddle and watch TV," I said, walking over and taking her hands in mine. She looked up with watery eyes and asked, "My pick?" "Of course," I replied.

---

Betty's choice was Red Band Society. If I wasn't concerned before, my anxiety just increased ten-fold. "She's so skinny," Betty whispered once Emma came onscreen. "Because she's anorexic, Betty," I replied.

"Don't you think I fucking know that?" She snapped, looking at me. "That's the only fucking way to be skinny, okay? Why do you think I haven't eaten in two weeks..." Betty had caught herself letting slip of what she'd been doing. "Betty--" "No, forget I said anything," She interrupted.

"Betty--"

"Stop."

"Betts--"

"Forget it!"

"No, Betty, I'm not going to fucking forget it," I snapped. She started to cry, but she did't want me to notice. "Listen to me, Betty. Look at me," I cupped her face in my palms. "You are my world. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me."

"So when I see you hurting, when I hear that you've been starving yourself, I die inside," I was tearing up, too, now, as I spoke. "I know that you want to look good and be skinny, but Betty you already do. You already are."

"Then why don't I see that?" She choked on her tears. "Every time I look in the mirror, I see this fat, ugly thing looking back at me and I hate it!" She cried. "Betty, let me show you something," I said, holding up her arm.

I enclosed her wrists with my fingers, showing her how small her structure had gotten. Betty stayed absolutely silent. Then I brought my hand to her collarbone, which was showing like the moon in the sky.

"Betty, I don't even have to press before I feel it," I sighed. "What am I supposed to say, Jug?" She whispered. "That you'll stop putting yourself through this. That you'll eat again. And keep eating. And by that, I don't mean just water and ice. I mean real food. The thing that keeps you alive."

"Water keeps you alive, too," she mumbled. "It's called hydration." "Food keeps you alive. It's called nutrition," I replied. "Well, I don't care if I stay alive. I'm gonna die someday anyway," she muttered.

"Well, it's my job to keep you alive until then. You know why? Because I love you, Betty. I fucking love you," I replied. She didn't say anything. She just sat there, shaking and crying. "Hey, hey. It's okay, baby, you're okay." I pulled her into a hug and let her cry on my shoulder.

---

The next morning I got up early to go downstairs and make her a bowl of cereal, which I knew she wouldn't comply with, but I figured the effort was worth it. "What are you doing up so early, Jug?" she asked, walking into the kitchen and rubbing her tired eyes.

"I am making you breakfast," I replied with a smile. "Jug, babe, I love you, but...I'm not...eating today," she sighed. I sighed in response as she sat down at the table. "It's hard," she said quietly, her eyes unfocused and hands folded under her chin.

"I know," I replied, walking over and putting a hand on her shoulder. "But I'm with you, babe," I said, sitting in the chair beside her as my palm met the back of her hand. "It's you and me against this."