Birthday

Betty's POV

"Morning, sweetheart," greeted my mom as I walked down the stairs. She was poking a pancake with a spatula tiredly as I grabbed my backpack and slung it over my shoulder.

Her hair was dishelved and her pajamas were wrinkly, but after everything that's happened with my dad...no, the Black Hood, lately, I couldn't blame her.

I didn't expect her to remember today. It would've been nice, but I didn't expect anything.

"I gotta go to school, but you'll be here when I get back, right, Mom?" I asked. She sighed and though for a second. "I should be, yeah."

I started heading toward the front door, hearing, "Have a great day, honey. Stay safe. I love you," behind me.

Still no "Happy birthday."

---

When I got to school, I was instantly greeted by Kevin, who I was almost sure would remember.

"Okay, so, Betty, I know that we haven't really hung out lately and you've been pretty stressed with family, so I thought, Why don't we have a Fun Night? How does tomorrow work for you?"

"What about tonight?" I asked, a hopeful smile on my face to ring a bell of what day it was.

"Can't. I'm going on a date with Moose tonight," He sighed. "Oh, wow, I'm so happy for you, Kev," I replied sincerely.

"Thanks, Betty. Hey, I gotta run, but I'll see you later, right?" Kevin asked. "Yeah, for sure. Good luck tonight," I smiled as we went our separate ways.

Why didn't anyone remember?

I walked into the Blue & Gold room, trying to get some privacy to cry, but before a tear could fall, the door opened, and in walked Jughead Jones.

"Betts, are you okay?" He asked, coming over and putting a hand on my shoulder. "I'm fine, Jug," I replied, sniffling as Jughead embraced me.

"You don't seem fine. I'm worried about you, baby," He said, rubbing my back. "I'm okay," I replied as we parted, swiping a tear away.

It took me ten minutes to realize Jughead forgot, too.

---

So I went through my day feeling ignored and forgotten while everyone else went through their day feeling as if it were any other.

"Hey, Betty, you wanna go to Pop's?" Archie asked, jogging up next to me. "Sure," I sighed as we changed directions.

---

A few boring conversations and familiar foods later, Archie and I were walking back to my house.

And I still haven't been told "Happy birthday."

I went to open my door, but Archie interrupted, saying, "I got it." I thought it was weird at first, especially since all the lights in my house were off.

I see what's going on here.

I turned on the light and sure enough, Veronica, Cheryl, Toni, Josie, Kevin, Mom, and Jughead all yelled, "Surprise!"

I started to tear up at the sight. I wasn't forgotten or ignored. They all set this up for me. "I thought you all forgot!" I admitted as Jughead walked over to me, embracing me in a hug as I saw my mom holding a white cake with pink icing around the sides.

"Never, Betts, we could never forget you," Jughead said. "Kevin, I thought you had a date tonight," I said, noticing him snapping a picture on his phone.

"Yeah, that was wasn't real. I just needed a ploy," Kev shrugged. "Well, you're a damn fine actor," I laughed. "Happy 18th, Betty! Make a wish," Mom said, holding out the cake for me.

I thought for a minute. What was it that I really wanted?

I blew out my candles as everyone cheered. I took a minute to admire the design of the cake. "Wow, Mom, you made this yourself?" I asked, impressed. "That I did," she replied.

"You know, I thought about doing half pink and half black. You know, for normal-Betty and dark-Betty," Veronica said, making me go red.

"I'm sorry, what-Betty?" Mom asked, confused and most likely disappointed. "Good job, V," I remarked sarcastically.

That night, after everyone had left, Jughead and I got cuddled up in our pajamas, watching 'Sierra Burgess Is A Loser,' eating my left over birthday cake and enjoying each other's company.

"Is it just me or does Sierra remind you of Ethel?" I asked in the beginning of the movie. "Definitely," he replied, chuckling.

"Also, what was your wish earlier when you blew out your candles?" Jughead asked, looking over at me. "What?" I asked, pulling myself out of the movie.

"What did you wish for?" He asked again. I smiled, looking at Jug, replying, "This. I wished for this."