One Eyed Devil Returns

Joey POV:

After his talk with Jewel and Merle, Joey had gathered up the first group of bodies, mostly past residents of Woodbury, to take them out for burning. He knew that Michonne was going to be bringing out a bigger group later. They had been to many to bury. He wanted to do this group alone, including Lizzie and Mika's father. Truth is he owed it to the people at Woodbury to give them some kind of respect. A lot of those people had lost family in the Governor's slaughter of his 'soldiers.' When he ran away that day, he had never expected to be taken in to the same place he was attacking. Nor had he expected to be part of the family that they had managed to make. For Joey London, maybe the end of the world did have some positive points, at least for him. He started the truck and went outside of the gate to give these people a bit of respect. He got out of the truck and started pulling bodies out and didn't hear the sound of an approaching person behind him, but he felt a heavy object come down on his head as he descended into blackness.

Governor and Joey's POV:

The man with the one eye patch looked at the young man he had attacked and taken captive. He hadn't planned on taking anybody right away, and he was planning on getting at least one more person for this to work. But, Joey London was just too tempting to pass up. One of his former soldiers, someone he had taken in and welcomed as a member of his community, shared his food with, kept safe, and was betrayed by. It would be so easy to kill him, put him in the water with that fool Pete, but he couldn't risk killing him, not yet. "Time to wake up, London," he said.

Joey moaned as he opened up his eyes

Joey moaned as he opened up his eyes. "Oh crap, please tell me that I'm in a bad dream," he said as he tried to sit up. "I guess I should say thank you for my head not being in a fish tank," he said.

"I'm not that same man anymore, Joey," the Governor answered.

Joey sat up against the wall. "So I'm tied up for my own good Governor? I don't remember bein' asked to this little coffee chat."

"I don't go by that anymore, it's Brian," the man said calmly.

"Brian huh? Thought it was Phillip, or did you lie to Andrea? Or are you lying to these people?"

The Governor didn't take the bait. "You ran away from us takin' over the prison."

"Good thing I did, I saw what you did to those people on the side of the road. Slaughtered them like lambs, seems to me I made the right decision," Joey told him as he listened to the sounds outside. "So you convinced another group to follow you, did you Governor? How many of those people gonna wind up being slaughtered by you? How many of their heads are you going to cut off and put on display?"

The Governor looked at him. "I've made mistakes, but everything I did at the time, I thought was right."

Joey gave a small laugh. "So, why am I here now Governor? Why did you hit me over the head? Do you know what I was doing? I was trying to pay respect to some people that died, people you said you cared about. Same way, I bet you're telling these people you care about them, making them believe that you'd do anything to protect them?"

The Governor took a breath and hit him across the face. "I saved your life, and the life of your miserable, worthless lazy father, and Jes, didn't I? And how did you all repay me? You joined the enemy," he simply said.

"Well if it makes you feel better, my dad died still following your orders. He drank the Kool Aid, just like all these people are doing. So, why am I not dead yet?" Joey asked.

"I want the prison," the Governor said.

Joey looked at him as the thoughts of his family, of Summer, ran through his head. "Didn't you try that once?" he asked as he tried to keep his voice calm.

"I'm going to get it this time. Rick is going to want to keep his wife and baby to be safe, I offer to let them all walk out of there, no harm done. No one has to die today, Joey. Not Jewel, not that baby to be, not your precious Summer," the Governor said.

Joey looked at him. "You leave her out of this!" he yelled.

"Young love, it's something to be awed, especially in this day and time. So, you see Joey, you are going to be a bargaining chip.I figure another person will be taking bodies out, get another one. I thought it would be someone other than you, figured you would never let yourself get that far away from Summer," the older man taunted him. "But here you are," he said.

"Rick is never going to walk away from that prison; didn't you figure that out last time? He's going to fight for it," Joey warned him.

"He didn't have a pregnant wife the last time," the Governor reminded him. "I was a bit surprised that Merle didn't kill him for that, but I guess people change. People will do a lot of things for family. I know I have," he said.

Joey gave a small laugh. "Like keeping your dead daughter chained in a closet with a bag over her head?"

 "Like keeping your dead daughter chained in a closet with a bag over her head?"

"I know she wasn't my daughter now," the Governor responded. "There's not going to be any bloodshed this time, not if Rick is reasonable."

"You expect me to believe that Governor? You expect him to believe that? You expect him just to believe that? After all that you've done?" Joey asked.

"Well he's going to have to believe me now isn't he? He's going to have to trust me. That's what it's all about now a days right Joey? Trust? He wants to save his family, betting that includes you now, he'll just have to trust that I'm going to let you all walk out," the Governor said.

"We've seen what happens when people trust you," Joey said. "Milton trusted you, Andrea trusted you. Merle trusted you. You were going to shoot him, kill him. He was your right hand man."

"Yet, I'm going to let him walk out of that prison like everyone else Joey. Now, if I was you, I'd just be thanking my lucky stars that I'm a forgivin' type, and I let you live," the man responded as he kept his voice calm.

"Until you can't use me anymore," Joey answered. "They'll defeat you this time too, Governor," he told him as he held the man's one eyed glare.

The Governor looked like he was going to answer when the door to the RV opened surprising them both. "Brian, who is this? Why is he calling you the Governor?" the brown haired woman asked.

The Governor walked over to the woman. "He was a member of my old group I was telling you about Lilly," he said as he kissed her.

"You said that they were all dead," Lilly told him.

"Thought they were, found Joey here outside where I last saw him. We were just catching up, weren't we?" the Governor asked.

Joey looked at him, then at the woman. "Yeah, didn't realize his name was Brian, when he was with us he preferred the nickname Governor," he simply answered.

"It was just something that my friends called me. Let's go outside Lilly. I need to do a couple more things before Joey and I do anymore catching up," the Governor answered as he led the woman out and gave Joey a backward glance.