Calm Before The Storm

Joey, Summer and Merle, Jewel's POV:

Merle arched an eyebrow as he watched from the corner as Joey and Summer stood kissing right outside the cell block. "That's far enough with those hands London," he said as he made his presence known.

"Uncle Merle," Summer said as she rolled her eyes.

"I know you didn't just roll your eyes at me, girl. I know how men his age things, starts with kissin, then down the neck, then finding' some secluded spot to be alone. Not on my watch, no way no how. London need your help with the fence," Merle said in a voice that left no room for argument.

"Uncle Merle I'm not a kid, I can take care of myself," Summer said as she glared at him.

"Yeah, I know, but it's not you I'm worried bout. London, now," Merle said again.

"He's just lookin' out for you, nothing' to worry about. I'm not going to be walker bait," Joey said as he kissed her again.

"You got a death wish London? Summer go check on your mother, or go see how they're doin' in A Block, just..find somewhere else to be but here," Merle told her.

Summer shook her head. "Don't let him scare you, he's a big old grumpy teddy bear," she told Joey as she walked off.

Joey shook his head. "Seriously Merle? You know that I'd never do anything to hurt her. That wasn't necessary, and you embarrassed her."

"You and I needed to have a talk, and this is best time to have it," Merle said. "Pick up a log, we need to reinforce this fence," he ordered.

"I already had this talk with Rick," Joey said as he picked up a log.

"Well that's good to know, but you aint had it from me. Kinda feel like I need to do it you know? I was a shitty big brother, least I can do is be a better Uncle. You're a smart kid, so I know I'm only gonna have to say this once, without my fist. Now if we were in the real world, I'd tell you that Summer was to good for you," Merle told him.

"I'd agree with you, hell she's to good for me out here," Joey answered.

Merle let out a laugh. "Have to agree with you there, but there's one thing you need to remember about Dixon women."

"Exactly what is that?" Jewel asked as she came up behind him.

Joey tried not to laugh as he watched Merle turn and look at his sister

Joey tried not to laugh as he watched Merle turn and look at his sister. "Don't be shy now, Merle," he said.

"Shut up kid," Merle hissed. "How the hell can you sneak up on me all quiet like carrying butter ball?" he asked Jewel.

Jewel his arm. "I'm still a Dixon, still can sneak up on a person. Obviously. Now, big brother I'd love to hear this sage advice that you were about to give Joey on us Dixon women."

Merle glanced at her then at the bag she had crisscrossed across her body. "You get smart about Officer Friendly and decided to bug out. Hate to tell you though, not exactly safe out there."