What to do with Claire

Terminus:

Mary sat at the table with Gareth as she looked over at Grayson. "He has a problem with Jewel being here?"

Gareth gave a laugh. "When doesn't Grayson have a problem with what I decide?"

"Especially now that you are sleeping with Clarisse," Alex pointed out.

Gareth shrugged. "Like I care what he thinks about that. I'm in charge, and if he doesn't like it, then he can be the next meal on the grill."

Mary glanced over as Grayson stood. "He's going to bring it up, now. What we mean to do with Jewel, Mika and the baby girl."

Gareth leaned his back on the table. "You have something to say Grayson? Something you want to share with the rest of us?" he asked. "Claire, why don't you come sit down next to me. You know how long winded your father can get when he wants to go on one of his preaching rants."

Claire grinned as she sat down beside him. "Dad is just worried about having a newborn to take care of. I told him that I would help."

"The baby has her mother," Mary pointed out. Clarisse was prone to outbursts, and being more crazy then sane. But didn't they all?

Clare looked at her, a blank look coming on her face momentarily. "But I could take care of the baby, if something ever happened to her mother."

"If something happens to her mother, we don't have anything to feed the baby," Sloane said as she sat on top of another picnic table.

"Exactly, someone with sense," Greyson said as he nodded to his niece.

Sloane looked at him. "The only thing I said was that we didn't have anything to feed a baby if something happens to her mother. So, we should keep both of them alive."

"Don't any of you get it? She was brought in here, without asking the rest of us and it seems like it's been decided that Mika, this kid and the mother is part of us. Don't we usually give them a choice? So what's so damn special about this woman that we just risk everything we built, everything that we've sacrificed to forget the rules?" Grayson asked.

"She was in labor when Martin found her," Gareth pointed out.

"We couldn't just let her have that baby out there, with no protection," Clarisse informed her father.

"A mother will do anything to protect her children, we showed her kindness, we helped her and Mika, she'll see that our way is the right way," Mary assured him.

"How do we explain that we've locked her in her room?" Martin questioned.

"She just had a baby, she doesn't know any of us, we don't know her. It's for her safety," Mary answered.

"When can I see the baby?" Clarisse questioned.

Gareth smiled. "Why don't we give her a day to rest? She was out there for a few days, her and Mika are probably exhausted."

"I think you're all missing the point," Grayson informed them.

"Well why don't you hurry up and get to it then?" Gareth asked.

"She has people out there, people who are going to be looking for her. We don't know what kind of people they are. But as Mary graciously pointed out a mother will do anything for the safety of her children. A husband will do anything for his pregnant wife, if he's the right kind of man. She wasn't alone all, and we don't know how many people she's got looking for her," Grayson told them.

"What if they come here? We give them the same choice as anyone else," Sloane informed her uncle.

"What if they refuse? You think that she's gonna be happy about us making her husband, her other child dinner?" Grayson asked

"What makes you think he'd refuse? If we have his wife and kid here?" Alex asked.

"Maybe we don't want him to know, maybe we don't give him that choice?" Clare questioned.

Mary glanced at her. "Everyone has a choice, Clare. We give them a choice, the decision to survive is on them."

Grayson huffed. "Funny coming from you Mary, we aren't giving Jewel a choice now are we? We just opened up the damn gates and accepted her with open arms."

"Dad, that's enough. Jewel is a special case. We've done bad things since this happened but turning our backs on a pregnant woman and a helpless child, that's not something I could do. If someone was there to help me, maybe my baby would still be alive and I wouldn't have this big empty hole in my heart. We can't become like those men that came in here, that raped us, that killed the men that fought back," she said as she stood up. "Don't forget dad, you're still alive because you gave mom up you watched her be raped, you watched me be raped, your sister, Sloane. You watched as mom put a bullet in her brain, and you did nothing. We've always given people a choice and a chance," Claire told him as she started crying.

"Clarisse," Grayson said as he reached out for her.

"Don't touch me!" Claire yelled at him.

"Claire, let's go through those kid clothes we found, clean them up for Mika. Mend the blankets, and cut some cloth for diapers," Sloane said as she reached out for her. "It'll help Jewel out, and it'll gain our trust. We found a couple cute outfits for the baby but we need to wash them up. After we do that, we can go through the stuffed animals, find the baby one. Remember those baskets we used to help our mothers make for new babies? We can find something and fix one up. Just like I was going to do for you before all this. I'm sure we got some ribbon and can find a bin or something. Something to welcome this baby into this world," she suggested to her cousin.

"Pink would be good," Claire answered softly.

"We can try to find something pink, maybe there's a dress or something around here with a pink bow. Come on," Sloane said as she went with the younger girl. She glanced back at her Uncle.

"I'll find you later," Gareth called after her. He looked at Grayson. "You try to do anything to that baby, to Mika, to Jewel, you're going to send Claire over the edge."

"He's right Grayson. Jewel isn't a threat, neither is that baby, or Mika. We treat them with kindness, they'll make us stronger," Mary said. "I'm going to go help them, then check on our newest arrivals."

"Everyone else, do final patrols around the gate," Gareth instructed. "You just earned yourself night duty, Grayson. This is your second warning, in a day, I don't give thirds," he said as he walked off.

Author's Note: Think a grown up Lizzie with a whole lot more problems (hence the reason she's played by Lindsay Lohan. Yeah she's a b