Uncle Daryl, You Were Wrong

You come to love not finding the perfect person, but seeing the imperfect person perfectly. Elma Fondales Silva.

Jewel jumped up on the cart Daryl was sitting on, as she watched everyone eat and drink. She sipped the root beer in her hand.

Shane looked at her. "Oh come on we're celebrating, a glass of wine won't hurt," he told the woman.

Daryl glanced at Shane. "Back off," he warned.

Jewel patted his knee. "Easy big brother. I gave up drinkin' a long time ago."

"Didn't like it?" Carl asked.

"Oh I liked it, a little to much. I'm a recoverin' alcoholic, haven't had a drink since Summer was 3," she told the group. "This doesn't bother me, trust me. It's fun to watch other people get drunk and do stupid stuff."

"You weren't even of an age to drink when Summer was 3," Lori said a little bit disgusted.

"Lori," Rick warned.

Jewel smiled. "I did a lot of things before I was supposed to do them, just to get them out of the way. Not something I recommend," she told her daughter as she kicked her seat a little.

Rick tried to hide a grin from behind his glass and looked at her from across the table

"You're not tempted to have one?" Carol asked. "None of us would let anything' happen to you," she assured the other woman.

Jewel smiled. "Appreciate the sentiment Carol, but it wouldn't end at one," she told her.

"Can I try a sip?" Carl asked.

"Absolutely not," Lori told the boy.

Dale laughed. "You know in France and Italy, children have a glass of wine with dinner," he told her.

"Well when Carl is in France or Italy, he can have a drink," Lori told him.

Rick looked at Lori. "Come on, one sip what is it going to hurt, Lori?" Rick asked as he poured Carl a bit.

"Fine," Lori said it being obvious that she was annoyed. "What about Summer? She is older."