Motherhood Is Never Easy

Summer and Jewel's POV:

Jewel gave a small smile as Summer came into her room. She pulled the covers down and motioned for her eldest to join her. "Uncle Daryl told me what happened."

Summer sighed as she crawled into bed. "Aren't I little to old for the snuggles and everything's going to be alright speech?"

 "Aren't I little to old for the snuggles and everything's going to be alright speech?"

Jewel laughed. "Oh you think the snuggles and the speeches were for your benefit? No, they were always for me. I think us parents need to tell there kids everything's going to be alright, so we can calm ourselves," she told her daughter as she kissed the top of her head. "I can't lie and tell you everything's going to be alright, because we'd both know I was lying," she comforted her daughter.

Summer sighed. "Mom, I liked it better when you tried to lie."

"Yeah so did I, but we both know how the world is now. I'm sorry about Zach, but damn it, I was relieved when you got out of that car," Jewel told her. "The one thing I don't want you to do is pull back and blame yourself. I told Daryl the same thing. It's not your fault, it's no one's fault. We all know going out there that there may be a chance we don't come back. It's the part of living day to day."

"It sucks," Summer answered. "How do you, I mean with the baby and Judy? How can you even think about bringing a baby into this world? I'm not mad, not anymore, I just don't know how you can act like you aren't scared," she told her mother as she touched her stomach. "Not that I'm not excited to meet my little brother or sister."

Jewel smiled. "Baby, I was scared when you were on your way too. Every parent is faced with challenges, hell, this is no different. Yeah, a bit more dangerous, but I'm going to do everything in my power to keep this baby safe, just like I tried with you. Just like we try with Judith and Carl. I can't stop living because the dead is rising. I wasn't living before, I was just breathing, going through the motions. The dead coming back to life got me to see that," she said as she kissed the top of her head. "This isn't your fault, Summer. I don't want you to go into some kind of shell that you are isolating yourself. That's what we Dixon's do, at least it was. Not anymore, it can't be. You understand me?"

Summer nodded. "Joey kissed me...before everything happened."

Jewel gave a small smile. "He did huh? I think we don't need to tell your Uncles or your dad about that," she told her as she hugged her.

"Yeah that might not be a bad idea," Summer said with a smile. "I don't think we know the whole story about what happened at the store....that brought down the shelf with Bob."

Jewel looked at her. "What do you mean baby?"

Summer shook her head. "It doesn't matter," she answered.

Jewel brought her daughters chin up so they could be looking at each others eyes. "It matters if you think it matters. What's bothering you?"

"When Uncle Daryl and I found Bob last week, I could smell the alcohol on him. Today he said he ran into the shelf, I don't know the story sounded fishy. I mean, there's no way to prove what he said was a lie, and it doesn't matter if it was or not," Summer told her.