You Say I Love You, I ask For Orange Juice

Summer's POV:

Summer sat on the edge of Beth's bed

Summer sat on the edge of Beth's bed. "Hey, I'm really sorry bout what happened at the barn. It was wrong, it was just wrong. Shane is a 'ot 'ead at times. I wish you'd wake up, we could talk about boys. Jimmy's worried bout you, he needs you to wake up. It would probably destroy him if you didn't. So Rick's takin' me out shootin' tomorrow, givin' me a drivin' lesson. He's probably just doin' it to show my mom he's serious about her. Mom never really dated, always came up with some excuse why a guy wasn't a right fix for her, for us. Just like a Dixon to find the perfect person durin' the end of the world. I'm worried, I mean the whole Lori and Shane thing. Shane scares the bigeebies out of me. Think Lori sees it now, probably will want Rick back. Women like that….they are scared of doin' things alone. I don't think Rick would hurt mom on purpose….trust me we're gonna have a talk about that," she said as she squeezed the other teens' hand. "I'm gonna tell you a secret that I'm not supposed to know. When I was eleven, mom and Uncle Daryl thought I was sleepin, Uncle Daryl had baby sat me one night when Jane couldn't and mom was working the late shift. They were talkin' on the couch, I stopped at the top of the stairs, out of sight. Trust me I'm a Dixon, I learned to sneak up on people early on. I heard them mention some guy named Clyde was back in town and hanging' out with Uncle Merle. Mom said Uncle Merle better not bring him around where she or I was. Uncle Daryl asked what would happen if Merle mentioned that she had an eight year daughter. I of course started payin' real close attention to that. I heard mom get up and started pacing, she lowered her voice, but I still could hear her. She said this Clyde person probably wouldn't remember that he had raped her. And if he did, and started askin' questions, Uncle Daryl better help her dig a grave. She said that I was the one bright light in a shitty world and that prick wasn't gonna come near me. I understood…I was a product of rape…I was upset, real upset for a couple days. I pretended I was sick and didn't have to go to school. Livin' with two nurses that wasn't easy believe me. Mom called out of work and stayed with me. I studied her, I mean really studied her. I saw other mothers with there kids, and not one of them treated there kids as good as mom and Uncle Daryl did me. I needed something' they were there. I knew what a shitty life my mom, and Uncles had lived, and they made it better for me. How could I be mad at her for lovin' me? It wasn't her fault. I never said nothing' cause it would have hurt mom. Bein' fifteen now myself, I can't imagine how she felt…don't know if I would have been able to do the same thing. What I'm tryin' to say Beth is that we got to be strong, for our families, for each other. This can't beat us, Beth. Sometimes we have to be strong for our families. You aren't alone, Beth. You got Maggie and your dad. You got me. I always wanted a sister, now that I found one, you got to wake up. We'll get through this together, Beth. We have too," she told the other girl as she touched her face.

Jewel's POV:

Jewel laid in bed wearing a pair of short sleeping shorts and a tank top reading as she turned her head to the slight knock on the door. "Come in?"

Rick came in with a glass of orange juice and closed the door and went over to the bed and kissed her. "How are you feeling?"

Jewel smiled. "Alright. That for me?" she asked as she ran her hand through his hair.

"My excuse to come into your room," Rick told her as he sat down on the bed. "Plus to get you back for making me drink all that juice when I gave blood to Carl," he teased.

Jewel laughed as she took the glass. "And who told you that you could sit down on my bed, Mr. Grimes?"

Rick kissed the side of her neck. "Now what do you say? Can I stay for a bit?"

Jewel took a breath as she sat down the glass. "Since you are askin' so nicely, I guess."

Rick grinned. "You were amazing' yesterday," he said as he ran his hand down her leg.

"God Rick, what are you doin' to me?" Jewel asked as she kissed him.

Rick chuckled into her neck. "Oh there's more then one answer to that question."

Jewel laughed. "I guess I deserved that," she said as she grabbed his hand stopping it from exploring. "I just…."

Rick kissed her. "What? Don't be afraid to tell me anything."

"I've never felt like this with anyone before. Yes at thirty…wait it's probably late September…thirty one then, I've never been so fully taken with someone. And it petrifies me," Jewel admitted. "I'm not good with all these feelings things."

Rick kissed her and looked at her. "Does this make you uncomfortable?"

Jewel laughed. "Yes but in a good way. Definitely a good way though. And that's what scares me. I don't want to go to fast, but damn it, in this world tomorrow isn't guaranteed."

Rick kissed her. "I know exactly what you mean. Hell, it was Lori that made all the moves, we didn't have sex til graduation night. This is new, exciting, and I can't seem to get you out of my head. When I need to get calm, I just have to look at you," he said as he kissed her neck. "You are going to be the one to tell me when we move to the next level, and if we don't I'm OK with that. I don't think I've ever felt like this with anyone even Lori."

Jewel looked at him. "You aren't…I mean…." she stuttered.

Rick kissed her and looked in her eyes. "I'm falling, hell, I'm in love with you."

Jewel took a breath. "Orange….juice," she said as she sat up.

Rick handed it to her as he kissed her shoulder. "You don't have to say it just because I did. Believe me, I know how you feel, just letting me this close says a lot," he said as he ran his hand through her hair.

"You don't hate me because I can't say it yet?" Jewel asked.

Rick kissed her. "No, I could never hate you, believe that."

Jewel smiled. "I do…"

Short chapter but hope you liked it!