Herd Number One

Rick took the walkie talkie away from the group. "I guess I'm losing hope that you can hear me. But there's always that chance, isn't there? That slim chance. It's all about slim chances now. I tried to do everything right, keep people safe. I tried, Morgan. I tried. Our group's smaller now. We lost another, day before last. It was her choice. I won't say I blame her, but she lost faith. The CDC was a dead end. I met a man there, a scientist. He told me something. He told me..." he said as he hesitated. "It doesn't matter. What matters is we're moving on. Atlanta's done. We're gonna try for Fort Benning. We're facing a long hard journey, maybe even harder than I can imagine. But it can't be harder than our journey's been so far. Can it? 125 miles-That's what lies ahead. And I'm trying hard not to lose faith. I can't. If I do, the others...My family, my son. There's just a few of us now. So we've got to stick together, fight for each other, be willing to lay down
our lives for each other if it comes to that. It's the only chance we've got. Be careful out there, Morgan. I hope you and Duane are okay. Stay off the road. Keep moving. Keep your eyes open. I don't know, just-just be safe. Maybe we'll see you in Fort Benning someday. Rick signing off," he said into the walkie talkie. He turned and gave a small smile as he saw Jewel.

"I wasn't eavesdropping," she insisted.

"It's fine, everyone ready to go?" Rick asked

"Can you fit one more in your car? Summer's finding the RV a little bit to crowded with people and bags for her liking," Jewel answered. "Lori said to ask you."

Rick shook his head. "Of course she did. She always hated to make decisions. Of course we can fit Summer in with us," he told her as he squeezed her hand. "I should put Lori in the RV with Shane have you ride with me so you aren't on the motorcycle."

Jewel laughed. "Please, she needs to be with Carl, and Carl needs to be with you. Not the first time I've rode on the back of the cycle," she told him. "I'll be fine," she assured him.

Rick looked at her. "Thank you for not losing your temper at the CDC," he told her.

"What good would that have done? Sometimes calm voices prevail, and there wasn't a whole lot of those goin' on," Jewel told him. "You don't have to carry the load alone, Rick. I mean if you don't feel comfortable talking with Shane because of everything, I'm a good listener," she assured him. "Everyone needs someone to talk too," she said as she started to walk away.

Rick pulled her back by not releasing her hand. "Thank you," he said as he kissed her softly.

"There's no reason to thank me Rick," Jewel assured him as she glanced around before she touched his face. "We're family," she told him as she walked away.

Rick took a breath as he walked behind her. "Summer, heard you were with us?"

"Hope that's alright? It's a bit overcrowded in the RV," Summer responded.