Not A Mission But Family

Author's Note: So my original plan was to show Daryl and Axel losing Beth and joining the hunters, but Jes had other plans. I am with you all that they need to be reunited, but all the pieces need to be in place. Well according to Jes, and right now she's in charge. We're getting closer. Review please.

Jes's POV:

Jes told Jewel to lock the door from the inside when she left. She would knock three times when she got back. Jewel hadn't wanted her to go out there alone, but Jes couldn't scope the place out if she stayed behind the door. That's why she had came in here, that's why she had 'joined' the group. She had to know the place, had to know the weak spots, had to know the best way to get Jewel, Mika and baby Hope out. Every place had it's weaknesses, be it the structure, or the people. She couldn't learn all that by staying behind a door. She knew, for now, no one would bother Jewel and the girls, and she had to take this time to check things out.

"You shouldn't be out here alone, it's not safe," she heard a male's voice say from behind her.

"It's a lot safer then where I was last night, Grayson," Jes said as she turned around.

"Thought you would want to stay with Jewel, the girls. You were awful concerned with how they were. Yet here you are, in the dark of night, and they are as alone as they were before you got here," Grayson told her.

Jes gave a small shrug. "I was concerned, because I didn't know where they were, if they were safe. Now, I know that they are all safe, and now I'm a bit curious about this place."

"It's the end of the line," Grayson answered.

"In more ways then one," Jes thought to herself. She watched the older man. He didn't trust her, but from what she had seen, he didn't trust anyone. "So, those signs? The broadcasts? That all for a show?"

"If it was, then you'd be dead, Jewel, Mika, that baby. Jewel would make a good meal, she still having all that fatty tissue from having that kid. What the hell was she thinking, allowing herself to get pregnant in a time like this. It's a death sentence," Grayson told her.

Jes knew what he was doing, he was trying to freak her out. Well, Jes knew how to play the game, and he walked right into it. "From what I've seen your opinion doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot around here," she told him. She watched his body language, how he tightened his grip on his rifle, how he shifted his body a little bit more straight then he did before. "Got you," she thought to herself.

"You don't know shit," Grayson told her as he glared at her.

"I know that you were smart to push your hand and have them tell me what this place is. All it takes is letting one wrong person in, I get that," Jes told him. "In my first group, the Governor's right hand man, the man that the leader trusted, he lied to him about killing someone. That someone took the Governor's eye out. Governor went bat shit crazy, and when he led an attack to find those people, people got scared of the Governor, and he shot them all. All it takes is one bad apple, one person who doesn't see the big picture to ruin the whole shebang for everyone else. You probably don't give a damn about my opinion, but you did the right thing," she said with a shrug.

"Daddy? Is everything alright?" a woman asked as she approached.