I Don't Like This Plan

Jes and Merle's POV:

Jes handed Merle the binoculars from her bag as she checked her weapon for the fourth time. "I count ten on the various roofs, saw at least five coming and going, from that building over there, and two women arguing over something in front of that far building."

Merle glanced at her then took the binoculars. "You're just full of surprises, aren't you? Were you a spy before all this?" he asked as he gave a laugh. "I could see that, Jes the spy," he said. "You weren't, were you?"

Jes shook her head. "Nope, not a spy. But you were a smart ass before and still am. Doesn't matter what I was before, it doesn't matter what any of us were," she simply stated. "You know the plan."

Merle glared at her

Merle glared at her. "I know the plan, I don't like the plan. No way does it make any sense to me that you go in there alone while I'm just sitting back like some idiot."

Jes ran her hand through her hair. "Merle, once again, you aren't real good at first impressions. You let whatever your brain thinks come out of that mouth of yours. There's no filter. I can't concentrate on the mission, if I've got to worry about keeping you out of trouble," she told him.

"Damn it Jes, this isn't a mission. This is real fucking life," Merle hissed at her.

Jes looked at him. "Yes it is real fucking life, your sister's, that baby she is carrying, that girl. More time we spend arguing and pissing each other off, those are the lives that are in danger," she said as she put her hand on his good arm. "Your sister is one of the strongest women I know, she has to be right? To have put up with your ugly mug all these years. She's a survivor, Merle. But, she's pregnant, and God forbid, may be in labor or had that baby. That makes her slower, her body isn't going to be the same fighting shape. Now, if she happens to be having that baby, your nephew or niece, do you really want her to be by herself, with people who may or may not be trustworthy. I know if it was me, I'd like to have a familiar face around. If these people turn out bad, then Jewel is going to need someone in there helping her with that girl she's with and possibly the baby. I'm going to need YOU out here, in case we have to make a run for it. I can't be helping your pregnant, or mom with a new born sister, and a kid and shoot a gun too. I'm good, but even I have my limits," she teased. "We know that the other's are going to see those signs, we know they are going to be heading here. The more people we have the better."

Merle still wasn't convinced. "Am I supposed to just let the rest of 'em walk in there without any warning?"

"You're supposed to stay out of sight, and not let them," Jes said as she nodded toward Terminus, "know you're out here. There's a reason they've got spotters, just like we did at Woodbury, at the prison. This is a blind spot for them, in the back. This way, I know if I need to signal you, I can. If you can get word to our people without giving them a view of you, you do it. But, as much as I need you out here, I need them in there."

"To endanger there lives too if it's not safe?" Merle asked.

Jes smirked. "No, Merle, to endanger the people in there if it's not safe. The one thing I've learned with this group, what I admire about these people, is that they fight, not for them selves, but for each other. They're a family, and if those people in there are a danger, well, they're going to learn that you don't survive when you pick on this family. And, yes Merle, I'm counting myself in that family. Can you please save the smart-alecky remark until we see each other again?" she asked as she took her knife and cut a jagged line in her upper arm.

"What the hell are you doing?" Merle asked. "You want to die of some kind of infection? Or are you trying to attract walkers?"

Jes shook her head as she ripped off a sleeve of her shirt and held it in place to stop the bleeding. "You know what's the one thing I've learned, even before the world went to hell?" she asked. Jes didn't wait for an answer before she continued. "Some men like to think women are helpless, need a man to save them. For some reason, this world, that brings that trait out ten fold. That's why I think, for now, if these people are bad like we think they are, Jewel's safe. A pregnant woman, with a child, that's someone who needs to be saved. And other women, even the cold hearted of women, there's a need to help there fellow woman. So, I'm not showing up pregnant, and I don't see a spare kid around here, so I'm doing the next best thing, showing up injured. Hoping that someone in there sees me just as a weak little thing that needs saving."

Merle arched an eyebrow. "Darling, you're anything but weak," he told her.

Jes smirked as she wrapped the bandage around her arm. "You know that and I know that, but they don't know that. It's all about playing a game, getting them to think that you're something your not. Just like I did at Woodbury. Funny thing, I'm going to miss the prison, that was the first place I really didn't have to pretend to be another person. Maybe I was really finding myself, whoever that is," she said as she stood up. "You take out anyone that comes this way, about ready to find your location. If you can get some information out of them, they do it. But I don't need anyone finding you, I'm trusting you to be there when I need you," she told him as she handed him the majority of the weapons.

"You got it. Be careful," Merle told her.

"Always am," Jes answered as she turned and walked out of the shadows and headed toward Terminus. For some reason the thought 'walking straight into the gates of hell' passed her mind. She had felt the same way when she met the Governor and in Woodbury. The one thing she had learned in her life, even before all this, was to trust those instincts.

Terminus:

One of the spotters straightened up as he noticed movements. "We've got someone in coming," the man said to Sloan.

Sloan looked up. She hated this part. She hated knowing people had no idea what they were walking into. She prayed every time someone new came that they would just agree to become one of them and not end up becoming food. She never said it out loud, she wasn't courageous enough, and she knew they wouldn't hesitate to make her the cattle. "How many?"

"One, a woman," The man said.

Sloan took off the walkie talkie off her hip and pushed the button. "Gareth, Nick and I are on the south building. We've got one woman approaching. Copy?" she asked.

"Just one?" Gareth responded back.

Sloan looked at Nick who nodded. "Affirmative, one," Sloan answered.

"Go into public face mode. Keep Nick on the roof, out of sight, in case more through," Gareth instructed.

"Understood," Sloan answered as she ended the transmission. "You heard him."

"One will be easy to overtake if she decides to run for it," Nick answered.

Sloan nodded. "Or easier to convince to join us," she answered as she left the roof. She glanced at Mary as she came out with Gareth.

"It's kind of late for someone to be out on there own," Grayson said as he came out.

"I don't remember inviting you," Gareth told him.

"Public faces, keep the in fighting behind closed areas. It's not good for moral," Mary warned them as the woman came up. "Welcome to Terminus, let's get you something to eat," she greeted.

TBC