First Human Kill

A month before they find the prison:

Summer's POV:

Rick looked at Glenn and Maggie. "Go back to camp! Send Daryl and T," Rick told them. "Hang on Summer," he said as he looked down at the bear trap caught on her leg.

"We're not leavin' you, Rick," Maggie said.

"Someone's got to go get help," Rick told them. "Go," he told them.

"Come on Maggie," Glenn said. "Hey we'll be back Summer," Glenn said as he they started to run.

"I'm alright, Rick…you should go…" Summer said as she tried to get the trap off her.

Rick looked at the teen. "We both know that's not going to happen," he said as he looked for a stick.

"Yeah, thought I'd try," Summer said as she bit her lip. "Should have been payin' more attention to where I was going."

"You were a little busy killing walkers, plus getting dark." Rick told her. "You want to talk bout what happened back in the pharmacy?" he asked as the stick he was using broke.

"Not really? But this is when you get all parenting type on me huh?" Summer asked.

Rick laughed. "What can I say, it's in my DNA," he told her. "You killed a man. It's goin' to eat you up if you keep it inside."

Summer looked at him. "He was holdin' a gun to Glenn's head. I killed him to protect family. I'm alright with that," she told him. "Does that make me a bad person?"

Rick shook his head as he got a stronger stick

Rick shook his head as he got a stronger stick. "No Summer, it doesn't. I just hate that you had to do that. I need you to pull your leg out quick when I get this open."

Summer nodded. "Got it," she said.

Rick nodded. "On the count of three," he said.

"Just do it Rick…." Summer said.

Rick nodded as he did it. "Now," he told her as she pulled her leg out.

"If I cussed you wouldn't tell mom right?" Summer asked as she grimaced. She pulled up her pants leg and inspected the damage. "I can make it back. It's not safe to try and wait."

Rick nodded as he helped her up. "Take my gun, gonna need you to shoot if we run into trouble."

Summer nodded as she leaned against him. "I think I'm gonna take the next few runs off, give other people a chance to do it," she said.

Rick tried not to laugh. "I think that's a good plan. Got to keep up your strength. I should prepare myself from bein' yelled at by your mom huh?"

"Mom knows that you wouldn't let anything' happen to me on purpose. She knows the risks, I volunteered," Summer told him as she tried to put weight on her foot.