Fighting, Fishing, and Girl Talk

Summer's POV:

Summer looked up at the RV. "Mind company Dale?"

Dale smiled. "Come on up," he answered as he put out another lawn chair. "You got bored entertaining the youngsters?" he asked as he held out his hand to her to help her with her last step.

Summer shrugged as she pulled out her baseball cap and put it on. "Shane took over entertain' Carl, Sophia and the boys are doin' lessons. Mom is doin' laundry with the other women," she answered as she pulled her blond hair through the back of her cap and into a pony tail.

Dale looked at it. "Bulldogs? Not familiar with that team."

Summer gave a small smile. "High school softball, sophomore JV team. You don't have to pretend to be interested, Dale, just wanted to look useful."

Dale looked at her. "I am interested. That explains the softball bat I've seen you around with. Bet you were the pitcher."

Summer sat down in the lawn chair and looked at him. "How did you know?" she asked.

"I've seen you throwing the ball to the kids, not to mention rocks down by the quarry. How long were you playin?" he asked.

"Since I was nine," she answered. "Uncle Merle wasn't the most reliable babysitter, he forgot me at school one day, mom was working, by the time Uncle Daryl picked me up, I had impressed the softball coach. Gave mom an excuse not to have Uncle Merle be responsible for pickin' me up."

Dale shook his head. "I'm surprised your mom even let him watch you."

Summer looked at him. "He's not all bad, was always there when we really needed him. I know he doesn' seem like much..."

"But he's family, I get it," Dale said. "You worried? About them not finding him?"

Summer shrugged. "More worried about Uncle Daryl not comin' back. And, I'd feel real bad if Mr. Grimes didn't come back after he got back the first time."

Dale gave a small laugh. "You sure you're related to Merle Dixon?"

Summer laughed. "Have you seen the glares my mother can give? When I do slip up, those glares, not to mention using the middle name, is enough to keep me honest."

Dale tried not to laugh. "Your mother does have the glare down to a science. She cares about you, so does your Uncles, even Merle. Must be hard for you, not exactly an adult, not exactly a kid."

"Tell me about it," Summer told him.

"Well, what I've seen is that you are showing responsibility, doing what needs to be done. Yeah you slip up with the language every now and then, but who doesn't," the older man told her. "I know your mom's proud of you, you can it in how she looks at you. And, though it doesn't matter, I'm glad I've got the chance to know you. Summer that's a pretty name," he complimented. "Born in the Summer?"

Summer laughed. "You would think that wouldn't you? No, day after Christmas. Mom wanted to name me Sunshine, cause I was like a ray of sunshine, Uncle Daryl talked her out of it. Thank God! He suggested Summer, and Grace came from some long dead relative that I don' even think mom even met."

"Well both names suit you," he told the teen. "You know you can come keep me company up here anytime," he told her.

Summer smiled. "You sure I'm not borin' you?"

"Not at all," he assured her.

Jewel's POV:

Jewel and Jacqui brought down laundry as Jacqui looked at Shane and Carl trying to catch frogs.