Shut up Merle

Author's Note: So the next couple of chapters are going to be Jewel and or Jes filled, only because Jes is insisting she is getting into Terminus. She may or may not punch Merle to get him to stay put and not follow her. Paybacks Merle paybacks. But we're (Jes and me) are still figuring that out. Then when I get them into place, it shouldn't be long until everyone makes there way back to each other. Trust me you are going to get tired of Rick and Jewel when they reunite. (I hope not since they are the 'stars' LOL) Thank you all who review and has made this story a success. I should say never ending since I seem to be a season behind! But hey that's alright with you guys right? Review please. (I'm on vacation for the week so I may get a couple more chapters out then normal if my back cooperates)

*warning Jes vocab gets a little racy**

Jes and Merle's POV:

Merle dug the old car apart that they had found. "The only sign Jewel was in this car is that piece of old blanket tied to the antenna. Could be anyone's," he huffed as he leaned on the trunk.

"Could be, but it's not," Jes answered as she inspected the blanket. "First, this isn't old, it's never been used," she told him.

Merle glared at her. "Exactly how do you know that? Got a secret talent of a blanket maker that I don't know about?"

"There's a whole lot of things you don't know about me Merle, just like there's a whole lot of things I don't know about you. That's why this relationship works Merle, we don't get into each other's business, and we let each other's past be just that," Jes informed him. "But for your information, no I don't knit. But I saw Karen working on this before she died."

Merle looked at her

Merle looked at her. "You mean before she was turned into a shiskabob," he huffed. "Do we have a relationship Jes?"

Jes turned and looked at him. "Sure we do, Merle. We argue, we watch out for each other, and we are friends with benefits. Neither one of us expects anything else, neither one of us wants anything more. It's a perfectly good relationship," Jes informed him. She looked at him. "Oh fuck no, Merle Dixon you are not going to say you want more. You and I don't do more, that's how we tick. So whatever is going on between those ears of yours, stop it right now. Focus on the task on hand. Focus on finding your very pregnant sister, and your brother, and hopefully the rest of your family, including your brother in law."

Merle turned and looked at her. "Officer Friendly is probably one of the last people I want to find," he answered.

"But the first person your sister wants to find, besides Summer and Carl," Jes pointed out.

"Yeah, and Daryl will want to find Mar, Glenn will want to find Maggie, Joey will want to find Summer," Merle informed him.

Jes bent down and looked at the tracks. "Two sets again. Jewel is definitely slowing down," she told him. "You got a point with that topic?"

"Jewel said that before Andrea died, she said that we couldn't do things alone anymore," Merle told her.

Jes stood up and looked at him. "Well it's a good thing we aren't alone, isn't it Merle?" she asked as she walked away. "Jewel and whoever she's with is heading to Terminus," she commented. "Are you coming or not?"

Merle shook his head as he followed her. "You ever cared for anyone? I mean totally head over heals, do anything' for them?"

"This isn't sharing time Merle," Jes said as she walked ahead of him.

Merle laughed. "See I think somewhere in the past there was a guy that broke your heart and made you cut off on the idea of love."

Jes turned around and gave him a grin. "Now Merle are you so sure it was a man, it could have just as easily been a woman," she said as she turned around. She would have loved to see his face.

"Wait, what? Are you serious? Damn would you stop girl. You can't just drop something like this and walk away. That needs some damn explanation," Merle told her.

Jes grinned at him as he caught up. "Well that sure as hell got your ass in gear didn't it?"

"You, hell no, that wasn't true? Now that's just damn cruel, my imagination was comin' up with lots of hot stuff," Merle told her.

Jes rolled her eyes. "Merle it's none of your damn business. My past is just that, the past. I keep it there for a reason, because it doesn't do me any good."

"You told me about your past at the cabin. Was that a lie too?" Merle asked.

Jes swirled around on her heel and looked at him. "You know I think I prefer the old Merle Dixon, the one who wasn't chatty, the rude one. Can you channel that one because this one is pissing me off," she said as she walked away.

Merle laughed. "If I remember, you didn't like that one much better. You didn't answer the question, Jes. What you told me back at the cabin, was that a lie? The way you broke down, I'm thinking' that's the first time I saw the real Jes. I'd like to know more 'bout her."

Jes turned and looked at him. "What the hell do you want from me Merle? You want to have a heart to heart conversation out in the middle of nowhere? Do you really think we have the time to do this now?" she asked as she pushed his chest with her hand. "Does it really matter what made me the way I am? Is it going to help find the people we care about if I tell you that I gave birth to a son when I was 17, that I dropped him off at a church in Kentucky and walked away? That I have an ex husband? That we were both drunk in Vegas and woke up married. My most serious relationship lasted a whopping 72 hours. That we went back from leave and never mentioned it to anyone else or each other? You want to know why I don't let myself feel things Merle? It's because it's easier to focus on the job, focus on staying alive, keeping others alive if it's just a job, just a damn mission. But then I meet you and this group, and I think maybe my past doesn't matter, that who we were, it all died when the world went to shit. But men like the Governor, they can still tear people down, tear loved ones away from each other. So Merle if I told you all that, is that going to somehow get us closer to Terminus? Is that somehow going to find Jewel easier?" she asked as she watched him. "What you have nothing to say now? Cat's got your tongue? Good, let's figure out how to find everyone, and then maybe if I forget how pissed I am right now at you, we can have a normal conversation. BUT until we find Jewel, this conversation is done. Not another word, or I swear to God, Merle Dixon it'll be the last thing you ever say," she hissed as she walked away.

TBC