We Got Fruit

Carol, Rick, and Summer's POV:

Summer got out of the back of the car when they stopped at the housing development. "Always kind of eerie when we come to places like this, deserted homes, cars, lives interrupted, kind of things that would spur Dean Koontz or Stephen King's imaginations," she said. "Something that I'd like to read, instead of living," she said as she got her bag.

Rick and Carol both looked at her. "Yet you like those kinds of books lately," Rick reminded her.

Summer smirked. "Surprisingly, it's still an escape from what we face everyday," she said as she held out her bow and arrow and walked up the road. "I mean the dead want to make us a meal, crazy men want to keep our heads in fish tanks for his own sick pleasure, a flu is taking us out one by one," she said as she stopped at the door. "If that isn't bad enough," she said as she paused and looked at Carol, "we've got to worry if we get sick, someone we trust is going to kill us and burn us. So, I kind of like escaping to the world of made up imaginations because it just isn't as scary as the real world right now," she said as she turned to the door.

Rick looked at Carol then at Summer. "Let's get moving, we need to get back to the prison before night."

"You didn't need me here, if you needed a third person, Merle or Maggie could have came," Carol told them as she got to the car.

"Someone had to stay back, watch over things," Rick told her. "Summer don't get to far ahead, stay back with us," he warned her.

Summer turned as she waited for the pair.

"Someone you trusted you mean? Never thought you'd trust Merle more then you do me," Carol told him. "Summer, I did it to protect all of us. They were suffering, I made it quick. We needed the bodies gone, needed to stop it from spreading. They were the only ones who were sick, they were a threat. I was trying to save lives, I had to try. Somebody had to," Carol said.

Summer took a step toward her. "You know that sounds a lot like the crap that the Governor was telling his people about us, that he was trying to protect his people from us. Right before he gunned them all down," she told the other woman.

Rick stepped in front of her. "Summer, I need you to calm down. We're here for a reason, we all need to be calm. Alright sweetheart? Can you do that for me? Just take a deep breath, and let's focus on getting in and out," he said as he kissed the top of her head.

Summer nodded. "Yeah, I can do that, Dad," she assured him. "I'm going to look down the road, I won't get out of your sight."

"We'll be right behind you," Rick told her as he gave her a nod before he turned to Carol. "I need you to focus on the job at hand too. She's worried, all she can see is her pregnant mother in a pile of ashes, the truth is that image is in my head too. But I'm pushing it out right now, for her. She needed to be out of the prison, to do something to keep her mind off that image. I couldn't leave you behind because then my daughter would be worried sick. Please don't say that you wouldn't do that if it had been Jewel, Carol. Right now I don't need to hear it, she doesn't need to hear it. Right now, we focus on getting in and out, getting things we need to help those back at the prison," he told her.

"Dad, come look at this, someone else has been here recently," Summer called as she looked at a car.

Rick nodded at Carol as they walked up to her. "Windshields clean, wiped down. Couldn't have been here more then a day maybe two."

"