Not Sick, Dead

Summer's POV:

Beth knocked softly on the slightly open door of the bedroom. "Summer right?" the other blond teen questioned.

Summer looked up from the book she was reading. "Yes," she answered.

"I'm Beth," she answered as she handed her a glass of juice. "I brought a few outfits for you to look over. When you feel better you can look through my closet, I don't need all the clothes I got, not bein' on the farm," Beth said.

Summer smiled. "Thanks...I appreciate it."

"How you feelin?" Beth asked as she sat down on the end of the bed.

"A little tired, but I'll be alright. Any word on Carl?" Summer asked.

"He's restin, your mom is pretty amazing' daddy is impressed," Beth told her. "Did you lose your dad in all of this?"

Summer drank the juice and shook her head. "Never was around," she simply answered. "It's always been my mom and Uncle Daryl, sometimes my Uncle Merle."

Beth smiled. "Did you have a boyfriend before all this?" she asked.

Summer giggled a little. "You haven't met my Uncle Daryl yet have you? Plus Uncle Merle, and our friend Jane not to mention my mom. Any guy, if I had been interested, would have been chased away by any of them. You?"

"I was datin' this guy named Jimmy before all of this. He lives here, cause of his family getting' sick," Beth told her.

"Sick? You mean with whatever this is?" Summer asked.

Beth nodded. "Yeah, they'll find a cure, everyone will be fine," she said softly.

Summer looked at the other teen. "You haven't been off the farm since this started have you? I mean...you haven't really seen a lot of what happens, have you?"

"My mom and brother, they got sick, daddy says when there's a cure to be found, they'll be fine," Beth told the other teen.

Summer looked at the other teen. She was getting one of those bad feelings. "Beth, there is no cure....we were at the CDC. There was one wackadoodle scientist that tried to blow us up with him."

"Just got to have a little faith," Beth said as she patted the other teens knee. "Carl shouldn't be alive, but he is, so faith."

Summer looked at Beth wondering when her world was going to crash down around her.

Jewel's POV:

Jewel glanced at Shane as he came down the stairs with a new shaved head. "Found a razor, I see," she told him. "Sit down, I'll look at the ankle. Herschel requested all of us come to the memorial service they're holding for Otis. Rick said we'd all be there," she told him as he sat down.

"Of course he did, without askin' the rest of us. He's good at that," Shane responded as he leaned against the back of the couch.

Jewel looked at him. "Shane what's your problem? Otis did give his life to save Carl's. That's what you said isn't it?"

Shane looked at her. "Yeah, that's what I said, you doubting me?"

Jewel finished up his ankle. "No Shane, I'm not doubting you," she answered. There was a dark side to this man that she didn't want to have any reason to mess with. She had seen it the day he beat up Ed, not that the man didn't deserve it. Now with his head shaved, it seemed to make his complete demeanor change. Something happened at that school, something he wasn't saying and what he was saying wasn't the complete truth. "All I'm sayin' is Shane, you're here, Otis isn't, and for that reason alone you should want to pay your respects. Nothin' more," she told the man as she stood up.