52

The land Lu Dongqing surrounded with a bamboo fence was not small, enough to grow some vegetables and melons. If there were too many vegetables, he could take some to sell in the town. Two rows of radishes and two rows of cabbage were planted in the open space in the front yard. They have produced several crops, and two large baskets have been dried and placed in the woodshed to be eaten when the weather gets cold.

  There are also a lot of water spinach, bamboo shoots and wild vegetables that are also dried, but it is still not enough. It would be better to save more. The rice and flour are not much, and the land at home has just been planted for the first time, and it is newly cultivated. The grain produced is barely enough for two people to survive the winter, let alone four people in the family now.

  Therefore, I have to buy some rice and noodles. As for the vegetables and melons, if I don't have enough, just ask Chen Ping to buy them. The backyard is much more open, and there is a large space behind the new house. When spring comes, I can buy a few saplings and plant them.

  Qin Yu is still planting perilla leaves, but both fruit trees have stopped bearing fruit. If he continues to sell yinzi in the future, he will have to plant some fruit trees that bear fruit at different times.

  Qiao Suiman had a plan in mind and explained it to Lu Dongqing one by one. Lu Dongqing nodded and said: "I originally planned to buy chicken and duck seedlings to raise those pine nuts in the back. If I want to plant trees, that's fine, just separate them on both sides. "

  He added: "We still need to open a bamboo forest behind the fence. In the past, we cut bamboo on the mountain to make money, and some people would gossip with me. I use a large amount, and I don't make small gadgets like ordinary people. This is really wrong. I thought about it. Find time to discuss with Li Zheng, and pay some money to the village in the past two years. In the future, when our own bamboo forest grows, we won't have to worry about it, and when the time comes, there will be more space for raising chickens and ducks with pine nuts."

  Qiao Sui's face was full of surprise, and then he agreed: "It is indeed the case, lest people get jealous and do something bad to us."

  Both planting trees and establishing bamboo forests are expensive and time-consuming. Qiao Suiman asked in a low voice: "How much money do you still have on hand now?"

  Lu Dongqing didn't answer directly. He closed the courtyard door first and pulled Qiao Suiman back to the room. Next to the bed was a large wooden box brought by Qiao Suiman, and next to the box was a wooden cabinet he built himself. After opening the lock of the wooden cabinet and taking out a wooden box, Lu Dongqing sat back next to Qiao Suiman.

  "It's all here." He opened the box and pushed it toward Qiao Suiman.

  Qiao Suiman couldn't help but laugh when he saw how he was offering a treasure. Then he weighed the silver in his purse. The weight surprised him. When he opened it, he found three five-tael silver ingots!

  Lu Dongqing raised the corner of his mouth and said, "I have ten taels to pay for building a bamboo house for someone in the town. It has been cold recently, and the owner is kind-hearted. He thinks that we have to work hard back and forth, so he gave us an extra twenty taels."

  When he built a bamboo house for Mr. Mei's family before, it cost nearly eighty taels of labor. This time, the wealthy businessman who went there was even richer and gave him ten taels at once, but it was because of the fineness of his carvings. He was also asked to carve a lot of extra pen hangers to give to the scholars who were hopeful of winning the exam.

  Qiao Sui's face was full of admiration. She didn't care about being shy at this moment. She took Lu Dongqing's hand and rubbed it carefully, "You have golden hands!"