25

After harvesting the wheat and picking up the wheat grains that fell from the field, the three of the Qiao family began to dry it in the sun in their own yard. Fortunately, the Qiao family's yard was big enough to be exposed to the sun, so they didn't have to go to the wheat field, as other families had to do during this period. Leave a man to guard the wheat field all night to prevent the grain that you have worked so hard to grow from being stolen by others.

  The weather was good, and the wheat dried quickly. Qiao Ruifeng and Qin Yu each used a flail to hit the wheat stalks, and the wheat grains fell off. Qiao Suiman was not idle either, hitting the corners with a stick. After beating the wheat, tie up the straws and put them aside. When they are completely dry, put them into the woodshed and save them for future fire.

Qiao Ruifeng and Qin Yu harvested more and more wheat grains. Qiao Suiman was sifting the wheat behind. Although the weather had been very good when they came in, it was about eating. Farmers had better be careful and sift the wheat quickly and put it into the house. You can feel at ease here.

  In this way, in the afternoon, the wheat straw in the yard was finished for the first time. The wheat straw that obviously had no wheat kernels was put aside, and the remaining fragments were picked little by little. Several people were not tired and sifted carefully. Mai, for fear of leaking a little bit.

  Another two hours passed, Qiao Suiman took the cloth towel, all three of them covered their faces, and finally sifted all the wheat grains. The finely chopped wheat straws brought up the dust. Wearing the cloth towel would prevent them from choking on the dust and coughing repeatedly.

  It was already night when I put handfuls of wheat grains into the wheat urn. I collected the wheat grains under the moonlight and locked them in the woodshed.

  Qin Yu hastily steamed some steamed buns, and the three of them ate and went back to their rooms to sleep. They were so tired that they didn't even bother to wash up. The air seemed to be filled with the aroma of wheat.

  ——

  Early in the morning, Qiao Ruifeng spread the wheat grains on the ground to continue drying, and then went to the river to practice again. He had stopped practicing in the past few days to harvest, but now it is getting closer to the Dragon Boat Festival. There are only a few days left, so he will practice more every day. Half an hour.

  Qiao Suiman was also preparing for the Dragon Boat Festival. The peach and green plum trees in the backyard had a lot of fruits. He gave some to the Chen family and the Zheng family, but there were still many left. Qiao Suiman picked the ripe peaches and Peel off the peel carefully one by one and remove the kernels, leaving only the crisp, tender and juicy flesh.

  I brought a large earthenware bowl, put all the pulp of a dozen peaches into it and mashed it, added two bowls of water and transferred it to a small iron pot. I lit a small fire under the stove, and the peach flesh was mixed with the water and bubbled.

  Qiao Suiman added some sugar and slowly turned it around with a shovel. When the water began to become thicker, he took out some fine firewood and continued to stir until the peach flesh was completely soft and turned into a paste.

  The peach jam was ready. The peaches themselves had a sweet taste, so he only added sugar to it. The plums were sour and he needed to add more, so he bought another half a pound of sugar, which he would use to make the plum jam later.

  There are a lot of peaches this year, so he originally planned to just add some pulp to the drink, but yesterday he had a sudden idea. Since he wanted to make thirsty water, green plums thirsted for water, and peaches thirsted for water. It didn't take much effort, so he just wanted to drink water. Do both.